Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King owners are real riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Haha...just blowin off some steam. Seems like here in this area everyone I know has traded thier Fatboy, Streetbob, Wide Glide in for a SG or UC and almost have have already sold or traded those in for something else in some cases not even a HD and out of those that I know who started off with a RK still have em.
I traded my Fatboy, but that was after 8yrs, and it was paid for the day I picked it up. I don't consider that a Fad.
You are right about the Road King, it's more adaptable to mods than the other tourers. Maybe that's why people hold on to them longer. I'm already in the process of losing the WWW's and the spokes.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Haha...just blowin off some steam. Seems like here in this area everyone I know has traded thier Fatboy, Streetbob, Wide Glide in for a SG or UC and almost have have already sold or traded those in for something else in some cases not even a HD and out of those that I know who started off with a RK still have em.
You might want to keep a copy of your original post. When you grow up it'll remind you not to make embarrassing statements in public.

This post can be taken as valid from your view point, or from a different view point it might suggest that in the limited area you're familiar with the more affluent trade machines as they please while the RK group settled for the less expensive machines they could afford & are stuck with 'em.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Another "real rider" searching for validation with anecdotal evidence??? Not the first and certainly not the last.

Are RK owners who install detachable fairings "real riders"???

Carl

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Think the Road King is a fine ride but have 22,000 + miles on my Ultra in 10 months have owned it with this tag on the back of it .. wanted the Ultra for being able to take the Old Lady and all her gear she wants to bring along as well .. Far as Real riders Know many that have an ironhead sportster that ride daily with lots of miles and smiles .. The model of Bike has nothing to do with how one rides ....

Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 AM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 07 King before I bought my RGU.Call me what you want,but i wont be going back to the king.I like my new "FAD" bike alot better.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Also, the Electra Glide and Road King are the most popular touring models.
Nationally the Street Glide is MOCO's Number one selling touring bike. Locally the dealers tell me the Ultra is number 1 with the SG number 2. For what ever reason, the RK is the lowest on the touring bike list in this area. The RK sits on the floor forever around here, but the RKC sells very well.

My dealer stated to me once that the SG is todays RK. I think that fits very well.

Beary

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
You might want to keep a copy of your original post. When you grow up it'll remind you not to make embarrassing statements in public.

This post can be taken as valid from your view point, or from a different view point it might suggest that in the limited area you're familiar with the more affluent trade machines as they please while the RK group settled for the less expensive machines they could afford & are stuck with 'em.
It was not the price that influenced my decision to purchase a RK, at the time i wanted a bike not a two wheel "machine" with a dashboard in the front. I love music so much that I considered a SG even went and test drove one but I am glad I did cause that was the sole reason I still have my RK to each its own i guess, i could see purchasing an after market fairing for when i do my 900 mile trips but as soon as i get there the ugly thing is coming off. I would rather pay a cheaper price for something I like rather than purchase expensive plastic cause the trend says so. I love being a kid and "stuck" with my Road King and the public can take the middle on both hands.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everyone can afford an Ultra !!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't choose the RK because of any trend. I bought the bike new in May but have already had secret thoughts about trading it in on a bike with tunes. I don't want to be fadish, but since I already paid off the bike, maybe I'm OK. I don't know if I'm a "real rider" because this is my first HD and I've only been riding for about 4 or 5 years. I did manage to put 6K miles on it this year. I don't think I have the dreaded short-term biker syndrome because I really enjoy riding and think I'll keep riding for a long time. I'll have a talk with my doctor about the syndrome, maybe he knows. Oh, but wait...

I really don't care what other people think. I like to ride. And if you do too, then shut up and ride.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Nationally the Street Glide is MOCO's Number one selling touring bike. Locally the dealers tell me the Ultra is number 1 with the SG number 2. For what ever reason, the RK is the lowest on the touring bike list in this area. The RK sits on the floor forever around here, but the RKC sells very well.

My dealer stated to me once that the SG is todays RK. I think that fits very well.

Beary
I don't know about that saying a RK has the crown still due to its versatility, a bike like that will never be replaced or become obsolete but, that is what I mean, by just looking at the sales of the SG and UC I think people are running out buying these due to the marketing, via bike shows and bagger magazines that constantly feature these models. And when it comes to the SG its the poster child for the younger 25-35 year olds who dont want to be seen on a geezer glide but at the same time its still to much bike for the Sunday rider, the SG to me is kinda pop culture, but time will tell, Those bikes are designed for at least 20k per year not just to be looked at and talked about.

Quick Reply: Road King owners are real riders.