Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King owners are real riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary

You get SO MUCH MORE for your money with BMW, Kawi, Honda, even Ducati with the Multistrada. And they all have to fight the exchange rate.
you say that, but its hard to quantify. go to the hd website, look at any harley, and easily find the msrp.

i went to the bmw website to see really how much was 'so much', and try as i might, i could not find a price anywhere.

i guess if i have to ask, i can't afford it......

Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The last time I looked BMW had a bunch of models on recall. What's up with that?
The most recent recall was related to a front brake problem. There's also been many instances of rear drive failure. The overall build quality of BMWs isn't what it use to be. I'm keeping my '94 sport tourer until it drops. I've crisscrossed the US a couple times on this bike without a single problem.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares if someone likes to trade a road king for a SG or ultra?? If someone has 3 bikes in 3 years and logs more miles than you, does that mean he isn't a "real rider"? Sorry but that post is a bit ignorant.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess trading off my Softail Heritage for a SG without even considering an RK (nice bike, not my style) makes me a fair weather or weekend rider. Hmmmmmmmm wish someone would have told me that so I could have left it in the garage instead of riding in 22 degree weather. Oh well this wanna be had fun anyway. Ride what you like, ride what you can afford, 2 wheels beats 4 anytime.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I have noticed a trend when i compare the touring line. It seems like those of us who choose a RK choose it for life. The SG, RG are mostly fads and have flooded the market, the UC changes hands quite often and usually the ones I see dont have many miles on them and the CVO and Limited are a rich mans toy and due to this demographic dont get to see much road either. Then there is the Road King with its traditional everlasting design, 100% bike just you and the road. Most RK's that I have seen have been tried and proven to be true for miles and miles, it kinda sucks cause I like all of the HD touring line and some are getting a sissy stamp cause of the short-term biker syndrome, and it seems like the drug of choice when it comes to this disorder is the fairing equipped models, come on guys at least keep it until its paid for.
You do realize that its essentially the same machine, but with a fairing and more storage don't you?

I had a '93 FLHS before my Ultra Limited (still do). The FLHS was the grand-daddy of the RK. In fact, the year after they made my '93 they got rid of the speedo pod, put the speedo on the tank and launched the RK. Because I liked to take long trips I eventually put lowers and a tourpak on my FLHS. I loved that bike (still do), but got tired of wearing an IPOD for music and wanted a fairing.

Most of my friends have EGs and have had them for a long time or have replaced them with newer Glides. I don't know anyone who has traded in their Glide for a RK. The only guy I know who has a RK now actually told me in September that he is thinking of getting a Goldwing so he can do some real touring.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is gay, just saying......

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Who cares if someone likes to trade a road king for a SG or ultra?? If someone has 3 bikes in 3 years and logs more miles than you, does that mean he isn't a "real rider"? Sorry but that post is a bit ignorant.
Yeah! '07 RKC-18mos./21k mi.,'08 EGC-24 mos.-26k mi.,'10 limited-7 mos./15k mi.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Oh jesus, not this **** again... did you know the answer to what "Harley neeeeeds to do" is the same as it was the last fifteen times some ****** on the internet tried to tell them what to do? Not listen to ******* on the internet!

Learn this well: boys who aren't yet out of the short-pants-wearing phase, and demand motorcycles that can beat their buddies at redlight-to-redlight racing, do not have enough discretionary income to keep any motorcycle manufacturer afloat. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, all have to supplement their sportbikes with practical commuting and touring bikes because, when they get out of the short-pants-wearing phase, they learn that riding around with their legs all wadded up under their asses gets uncomfortable after a few hundred miles. Cruisers! Tourers! Commuters! Above all, engineering for low maintenance! That's where the money is.

You want to ride, or do you want to do pain-in-the-*** valve adjustments? You want to ride, or do you want to sit around and go through thread after thread on the internet about how to sync multiple carbs? You want to ride, or do you want to fight over which chain oiler works best, or how to lube your chain manually without slinging excess lube everywhere? This is what the other forums talk about. Even the BMW forums have far too many threads about welds breaking and shaft drives bursting into flames (!). Have you read the letters section in this month's MCN? Just got my copy in the mail today: Ducati owners are seeing their plastic tanks melting due to ethanol in fuel! Harley needs to keep building bikes for people who value mechanical simplicity and love to ride. They don't need to repeat their mistakes with Buell and Aprilia, as ******* on the internet keep whining that they should.
Yup.... I agree.

I'm 24... I had a Kawasaki Vulcan prior to my SG. I don't know where people say you get MORE for your money with other brands. I don't see it. Maybe my SG was expensive, buuuuuut for one - there ain't no chrome like Harley chrome, and two - with Harley, you actually DO get what you paid for. My SG is a dream. I don't think i'll ever get a new bike. I have all I need with this. 16K since May.

Young people just wanna have speed and power. A Harley owner is a different breed. Whether it be young or old. I could care less with going fast. Everything is too blurry. I hope Harley doesn't try and do what the wackos say. Harley has a good thing going, and has since they started.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My Limited get plenty of work out and is hardly a toy. I know i'm not the high mile rider for the year but still put over 16,000 on it this year. I still got to work

Quick Reply: Road King owners are real riders.