Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King owners are real riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default UC vs Road King

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
LOL... how can anyone resist opening this thread with THAT title? LOL
Some funny chit for sure.
I bet there are some passionate 10 speed riders who's yearly mileage would put many so called "real King riders" to shame...lol
Perspective is everythang eh!

Signed,
"Fake" Rider who rides any chance he gets....lol
Hey Fake,
I got a UC just like that! (i also ride a RKC)

Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I have noticed a trend when i compare the touring line. It seems like those of us who choose a RK choose it for life. The SG, RG are mostly fads and have flooded the market, the UC changes hands quite often and usually the ones I see dont have many miles on them and the CVO and Limited are a rich mans toy and due to this demographic dont get to see much road either. Then there is the Road King with its traditional everlasting design, 100% bike just you and the road. Most RK's that I have seen have been tried and proven to be true for miles and miles, it kinda sucks cause I like all of the HD touring line and some are getting a sissy stamp cause of the short-term biker syndrome, and it seems like the drug of choice when it comes to this disorder is the fairing equipped models, come on guys at least keep it until its paid for.
Yeah, sounds about right.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
You exemplify the smug attitude of most BMW riders. Let it go. And understand that Harley builds classic styled motorcycles, not sport tourers.
I am not a BMW rider. And I'm not a die-hard Harley biker either. I'm an avid motorcycle enthusiast who happens to own a Street Glide and a DRZ400S at the moment.

I have ridden with many groups of BMW and Harley riders. I can say that Harley riders are just as smug if not more so than BMW riders. But, let me tell you, Harley rallies are a lot more fun than BMW rallies. Bring on the beer and *****!!

Anyway, Harley needs to do something. Yes, the classic bikes sell, but they had better make some products that can actually compete with modern products from other manufacturers. Most young people are riding Japanese bikes, and expect Japanese-style engineering from whatever they get on.

Case in point? Look at the BMW S1000RR. They came out with a Gixxer-beater for almost the same money to take away customers and introduce them to the brand, so they develop a loyal customer base in a younger demographic. It is thought that it will generate sales of other models as the younger buyer ages. Heck, they even came out with normal blinker switches on their whole product line! Gasp!

Harley needs to do the same. Sure, keep the classic styling, but make a new bike that will take sales away from the competition based on more than being "American" and "Classic." Seriously guys, a 60 horsepower 800-lb bike for $20,000 with ABS being the only nod to modern technology? A joke. Yeah, Harley is trying with the XR1200 48 and the new Super Low, but they do need to something more. Something better.

You get SO MUCH MORE for your money with BMW, Kawi, Honda, even Ducati with the Multistrada. And they all have to fight the exchange rate.

Road King Classics are indeed the best looking Harley. Maybe they do make the best Harley touring rig. IDK, not for me...

Last edited by JCleary; 12-21-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by user 8373900; 03-20-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
EndOfDays
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
I am not a BMW rider. And I'm not a die-hard Harley biker either. I'm an avid motorcycle enthusiast who happens to own a Street Glide and a DRZ400S at the moment.

I have ridden with many groups of BMW and Harley riders. I can say that Harley riders are just as smug if not more so than BMW riders. But, let me tell you, Harley rallies are a lot more fun than BMW rallies. Bring on the beer and *****!!

Anyway, Harley needs to do something. Yes, the classic bikes sell, but they had better make some products that can actually compete with modern products from other manufacturers. Most young people are riding Japanese bikes, and expect Japanese-style engineering from whatever they get on.

Case in point? Look at the BMW S1000RR. They came out with a Gixxer-beater for almost the same money to take away customers and introduce them to the brand, so they develop a loyal customer base in a younger demographic. It is thought that it will generate sales of other models as the younger buyer ages. Heck, they even came out with normal blinker switches on their whole product line! Gasp!

Harley needs to do the same. Sure, keep the classic styling, but make a new bike that will take sales away from the competition based on more than being "American" and "Classic." Seriously guys, a 60 horsepower 800-lb bike for $20,000 with ABS being the only nod to modern technology? A joke. Yeah, Harley is trying with the XR1200 48 and the new Super Low, but they do need to something more. Something better.

You get SO MUCH MORE for your money with BMW, Kawi, Honda, even Ducati with the Multistrada. And they all have to fight the exchange rate.

Road King Classics are indeed the best looking Harley. Maybe they do make the best Harley touring rig. IDK, not for me...
I agree and disagree. I only disagree because I rode Japanese sport bikes exclusively and switched to a Harley without them having a proper entry level bike to really compete with the Metric bikes.

Harley needs to build a Ducati inspired L-twin/v-twin, and I don't mean a Buell. I mean a 1200cc bike that competes with the Ducati 1198 and the Japanese liter bikes. I would have bought a Harley sport bike over my Yamaha's if they had a real bike. Hell build an inline 4 high horse powered bike. Young guys ride that, and swap from the i4 or L/Vtwin sport bike right into the Cruiser lines.

How bout making it ridiculously easy and hire some Japanese/German/Italian engineers from the competition and get a jump start on the technology required to compete. Think about all the Harley owners that own a sport bike and a Harley. They'd probably be very interested switching. I think all former and prospective Buell owners would buy one.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCleary
Anyway, Harley needs to do something... they had better... Harley needs to do ... they do need to something more...
Oh jesus, not this **** again... did you know the answer to what "Harley neeeeeds to do" is the same as it was the last fifteen times some ****** on the internet tried to tell them what to do? Not listen to ******* on the internet!

Learn this well: boys who aren't yet out of the short-pants-wearing phase, and demand motorcycles that can beat their buddies at redlight-to-redlight racing, do not have enough discretionary income to keep any motorcycle manufacturer afloat. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, all have to supplement their sportbikes with practical commuting and touring bikes because, when they get out of the short-pants-wearing phase, they learn that riding around with their legs all wadded up under their asses gets uncomfortable after a few hundred miles. Cruisers! Tourers! Commuters! Above all, engineering for low maintenance! That's where the money is.

You want to ride, or do you want to do pain-in-the-*** valve adjustments? You want to ride, or do you want to sit around and go through thread after thread on the internet about how to sync multiple carbs? You want to ride, or do you want to fight over which chain oiler works best, or how to lube your chain manually without slinging excess lube everywhere? This is what the other forums talk about. Even the BMW forums have far too many threads about welds breaking and shaft drives bursting into flames (!). Have you read the letters section in this month's MCN? Just got my copy in the mail today: Ducati owners are seeing their plastic tanks melting due to ethanol in fuel! Harley needs to keep building bikes for people who value mechanical simplicity and love to ride. They don't need to repeat their mistakes with Buell and Aprilia, as ******* on the internet keep whining that they should.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Thumbs up

Speakin for myself the RG is my favorite for on the highway and long trips. I am now on my 2nd. RG with this one being an 09. The other was a 2000. I also have a soft spot for the RK Classic since buying one for my wife 2 years ago. The RK is a very easy handling bike in the twisties but to me is a bit twitchy on the interstate around big rigs. Getting to enjoy both bikes is sweet!.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get the impression that the MOCO is really all that interested in the woeing the sport bike/BMW crowd or hiring thier engineers & from what I read on this forum if you go to a sport bike forum they all have their complaints and problems too.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garthj
You beat me to it, the Roadking, Street Glide, they are stripped Electra Glides
I think it is quite the opposite. The Electra Glides and Street Glides are dressed up Road Kings.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Oh jesus, not this **** again... did you know the answer to what "Harley neeeeeds to do" is the same as it was the last fifteen times some ****** on the internet tried to tell them what to do? Not listen to ******* on the internet!

Learn this well: boys who aren't yet out of the short-pants-wearing phase, and demand motorcycles that can beat their buddies at redlight-to-redlight racing, do not have enough discretionary income to keep any motorcycle manufacturer afloat. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, all have to supplement their sportbikes with practical commuting and touring bikes because, when they get out of the short-pants-wearing phase, they learn that riding around with their legs all wadded up under their asses gets uncomfortable after a few hundred miles. Cruisers! Tourers! Commuters! Above all, engineering for low maintenance! That's where the money is.

You want to ride, or do you want to do pain-in-the-*** valve adjustments? You want to ride, or do you want to sit around and go through thread after thread on the internet about how to sync multiple carbs? You want to ride, or do you want to fight over which chain oiler works best, or how to lube your chain manually without slinging excess lube everywhere? This is what the other forums talk about. Even the BMW forums have far too many threads about welds breaking and shaft drives bursting into flames (!). Have you read the letters section in this month's MCN? Just got my copy in the mail today: Ducati owners are seeing their plastic tanks melting due to ethanol in fuel! Harley needs to keep building bikes for people who value mechanical simplicity and love to ride. They don't need to repeat their mistakes with Buell and Aprilia, as ******* on the internet keep whining that they should.
Read it.....Understand it......Live it.

Quick Reply: Road King owners are real riders.