Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King owners are real riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tbear
come on open the envelope
Yeah, when are they going to open that thing. This thread is 900 miles long and my RKC needs to be washed and waxed.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 AM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember a time when Harley's were called by their official and appropriate designations.

Nowadays, when someone tells me they have a new RKC, I automatically figure they're going to trade it for the next newest thingamabob in a year or less.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 AM
djw479
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read every post in this thread and just have one question: Is this OP for real? Or has the OP's login been hijacked by a teenage ghost-rider...a real Harley rider would never put down his fellow riders like this over minor differences in similar models.

OP's opinion is just based on biased perceptions, there's not one factual datapoint. To claim all non-RK riders are posers is just a self-serving view on why one type of Harley is best. I strongly disagree, and I've owned a Road King for almost 14 years.

This 1996 RK has served me well, but it is not the one-and-only, be-all of Harley touring models. Its a nice scooter, but for me its time for something different. I'm doing more long-distance/multi-week trips and want more than what the RK can offer (more storage capacity, better wind protection, etc). I purchased a used Road Glide with a detachable Tour-Pak and other accessories. I can can quickly strip off the TP&pillion for shorter rides, or attach the Tour-Pak and glide comfortably to the coasts (comfortable to me is packing enough dry underwear/clothes/shoes/etc for two people). And gosh...I may even play the stereo occasionally just for giggles!?!

But does that make my RG the best touring model Harley makes...NO! It just makes it the best bike for my current desires. And I will not be starting a thread pontificating to all other touring-model riders that they're posers unless they are riding my specific model...that's for you to decide based on your needs&desires.

OP just needs to get over what seems to be an inferiority complex, and I truly hope OP can truly enjoy riding his Harley...quietly. He's never going to convince non-RK riders they're on the wrong model. And the OP is just exposing his serious lack of judgement and/or respect for other motorcyclists on this site.

And by the way, I paid cash for my RG. And I'm not rich or a poser as your statements imply, I just plan well.

Last edited by djw479; 12-21-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Softened what I really wanted to say
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WGAF.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know that it makes me more of a rider than anyone else, but I plan on having a Road King in my garage until I punch out. Just sayin'.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I have noticed a trend when i compare the touring line. It seems like those of us who choose a RK choose it for life. The SG, RG are mostly fads and have flooded the market, the UC changes hands quite often and usually the ones I see dont have many miles on them and the CVO and Limited are a rich mans toy and due to this demographic dont get to see much road either. Then there is the Road King with its traditional everlasting design, 100% bike just you and the road. Most RK's that I have seen have been tried and proven to be true for miles and miles, it kinda sucks cause I like all of the HD touring line and some are getting a sissy stamp cause of the short-term biker syndrome, and it seems like the drug of choice when it comes to this disorder is the fairing equipped models, come on guys at least keep it until its paid for.
I think your right Fireaxxe, Check out the link below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603979

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 2008 RKC for a 2010 FLTRX.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Wow......you need to sell the SG and get on the Dyna/Beemer. Life's too short. Or did you just come on to take some "heat" away from fireaxxe?

To fireaxxe......wait until I tell my wife she is the "real deal" in the biker world even though she only clocks about 8K miles per year. She will be thrilled! Or not give a rats ****.......not sure which, probably the later.

To all you guys who own great HD fairing bikes, in the words of the Joker. "why so serious?"

Now that's a real garage there!!! Two of Harley's best kept secret's sitting in it as well!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't flame you because I own a Road King...and in some ways...you're right.

I've watched the other touring bikes morph over the years...but the RK has remained true.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
I can't flame you because I own a Road King...and in some ways...you're right.

I've watched the other touring bikes morph over the years...but the RK has remained true.
how do you figure? i would submit that all those folks adding removable fairings to their roadkings is more of a morph than the small changes made to the other tourers..... you know, making a tp detachable so your eglide is more of a street glide....

Quick Reply: Road King owners are real riders.