Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Chad263
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam noise?

How much louder are the motors after you put cams in? Its actually the rockers that are louder correct? I was just wondering how much louder it actually got from stock? Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Depends on the cam make and profile, some are louder than others. One other element when installing a cam in a bagger, any noise from the valve train is effectively amplified by the fairing.

I have SE 255 cams in my 2010 and they don't seem any louder than stock. Others will state preferences that are reported to perform much better than the SE 255 but several of those "better performing" cams are also reported to have significant valve train noise associated with them.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I added the 255's in my 96", both valve train noise and exhaust note increased.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

There is no free lunch in life, with a new cam comes increased noise and engine wear and less mpg but more power, no magic cam exists.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chad263
How much louder are the motors after you put cams in? Its actually the rockers that are louder correct? I was just wondering how much louder it actually got from stock? Thanks
You will get more audible valve train noise, but the exhaust will also be seeing more output (unless you are putting in a milder cam set than had been installed already), which will tend to make it louder. How much louder will depend on which engine, which cam and which exhaust.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Chad263
Cruiser

I wasnt looking for a magic cam by any means just curious on noise. I have the fuel moto 107 kit with woods TW-555 cams. My vavle train isn't that much louder that it scares me I was just wondering what everyone else thought

Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
There is no free lunch in life, with a new cam comes increased noise and engine wear and less mpg but more power, no magic cam exists.
na, but we sure keep looking for it

Old 12-19-2010, 02:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad263
There are two types of noise cams commonly affect, top-end and exhaust. With SE255 cams I noticed little or no increase in top-end noise, but did experience an unwanted but expected increase in exhaust volume. The latter forced me to install the quiet baffle in my Jackpot mufflers and although that helped they're still a bit throaty. It isn't bad except when the engine is under load, like up a grade or high-speeds with a headwind, which produces a "hammering" effect that becomes irritating. Some would like it, but I would rather have a bit less exhaust noise.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

When I responded I was thinking the OP was referring to top end noise. My exhaust noise certainly increased when the cams went in mainly due to the stock exhaust getting replaced with a D&D Boss Fatcat with big bore wrapped performance baffle....

Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My TC 88 was quiet as a mouse with stock cams. After putting in the mild Andrews 26G's, I now have a pretty noisy top end. I listened to all kinds of advice from the experts and adjusted pushrods this way and that way, swapped lifters, and added the famed Baisly spring. Nothing changed the amount of noise I had. The noise drove me nuts at first. After 5 years, I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

Quick Reply: cam noise?