Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail Light on 09 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 PM
ravenron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tail Light on 09 Street Glide

Was at the dealer today looking at the rear blinker, brake light conversion kit. Apparently the catalog states that the conversion kit is not intended for the 09 and up Street Glide because the blinkers are too close to the tail light (some DOT rule). The parts guy said this wouldn't matter because the 09 and later Street Glides didn't have a tail light, just the blinkers that lit up as brake lights (in the same way as with the conversion kit).

Hmmm...I found this interesting as I certainly have a tail light and it's certainly an 09 Street Glide. He showed me his bike (also an 09 SG) - no tail light, as well as one on the floor for sale, again, no tail light.

What gives? Did some 09's come with tail lights and some without? Do I have some freak of the MoCo? I have the fat rear tire and fat fender and the bike was sold new in April 09 - I'm the second owner. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I find it odd.

Thanks for any insight or information.

Ron

Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the 09 was the last year for harleys real taillight on the touring models. i'm using the same module for my 08 streetglide, and it sure does light up the rear end of the bike at night. that along with the three stripes at the bottom of the rear fender. imagine if you had a 09 that only had the taillight, you're riding at night, and the taillight burns out. you'd be riding down the highway invisible to those who are following you. i feel that the turn signal/brake light module is a great investment in safety. it doesn't really matter the distance between the turn signals and taillight, unless you end up getting stopped by a cop who can't understand it's to improve your chances from getting rear ended. as far as some of the 09's coming out without a real taillght, i'm not aware of that. could be a mid year change? i highly recommend installing the module and red turn signal lenses to increase your nighttime visibility.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m continually amazed at the lack of knowledge that some dealerships have. It’s amazing to me that they work with these bikes daily and yet seem to know less about them then most owners do. I have a 2010 SG and my father-in-law has a 2009 SG. The 2009 was the last year that they used the large center dedicated brake light. In 2010 they went to the two bullet style lights that act as turn signals and a brake light. There was no mid-year change in 2009 on the brake lights. That being said, my father-in-law installed the kit that you are talking about and it does add more light at night. Problem is that during the day I don’t notice when he has his turn signal on sometimes because the lights are grouped so closely together.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 PM
ravenron
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. I did go ahead and install the conversion kit and while I appreciate the greater rear visibility, I hope the blinkers are still noticeable. I usually use hand signals as well so that should help.

Both bikes I saw at the dealership were 09's and both had no tail light. The dealer seemed to think there was a midyear change. My concern was that I had some odd repair job. Still strange and not something I'd ever noticed before.

Ron

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 was the last year unless u were looking at 10 or a screamin eagle.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 AM
idoc
Intermediate

As an 09 SG owner , I'd sure like to see what this change looks like on a bike --- I'm still stock on the rear lighting . Lemme see please
Joe

Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 AM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenron
Was at the dealer today looking at the rear blinker, brake light conversion kit. Apparently the catalog states that the conversion kit is not intended for the 09 and up Street Glide because the blinkers are too close to the tail light (some DOT rule). The parts guy said this wouldn't matter because the 09 and later Street Glides didn't have a tail light, just the blinkers that lit up as brake lights (in the same way as with the conversion kit).

Hmmm...I found this interesting as I certainly have a tail light and it's certainly an 09 Street Glide. He showed me his bike (also an 09 SG) - no tail light, as well as one on the floor for sale, again, no tail light.

What gives? Did some 09's come with tail lights and some without? Do I have some freak of the MoCo? I have the fat rear tire and fat fender and the bike was sold new in April 09 - I'm the second owner. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I find it odd.

Thanks for any insight or information.

Ron
My 09 SG has a tail light as do all 09's as far as I know. I know the 2010's changed to the new style. This isn't related to your issue but my brake light wasn't working only the tail light, so I bought a new bulb from my dealer with the same part number as the service manual. The bulb I pulled out of the tail light socket is a different style than the new one I bought.The old one you have to pull straight out and the new one you push down and twist (has two nibs sticking out). No big deal but I thought it was strange HD wouldn't have the correct part number for a bulb. I agree with you it is odd that an 09 SG doesn't have the tail light. I think he got his years mixed up and showed you a 2010. BTW did the bike he showed you have dual exhaust or the single exhaust pipe that came out in 2010?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM
ravenron
Advanced

I too am beginning to think he must have mixed his year models as every 09 I looked at on eBay last night had the tail light. Unfortunately, I was focusing on the lighting and failed to notice the exhaust. I simply took the dealer at his word and assumed he knew what he was selling. As far as your bulb, I haven't removed mine yet but will check it out.

My conclusion is: dealer wrong, 09's have tail lights, my bike is just as it should be

Thanks again for all the good info and responses. Ride safe!

Ron

Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts guy should be fired for not even knowing what year bike he rides.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought my 07 flht standard and the only thing it had on it was the run/brake/stop module...someone on here pointed it. I had no idea. I thought they where all like that. Seemed to make sense to have all 3 lit.

Quick Reply: Tail Light on 09 Street Glide