Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear fender solo rack for RKC

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:50 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default rear fender solo rack for RKC

I was having a discussion regarding the new Sundowner solo seat that I just installed on my 2005 Road King Classic...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2005-rkc.html

Not sure why I didn't think of it before but it was suggested that I add a solo rack to compliment the look of the solo seat. I had installed one on my previous bike and it looked great (so again, not sure why I didn't think of it earlier!).

So I am wondering what options there are for a rear fender solo rack for the RKC. The following two have been mentioned in the Sundowner seat thread...

http://www.motherwellproducts.com/So...-p/mwl-430.htm

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_CA

just wondering if there are any other products/options out there for a solo fender rack for the Road King? any suggestions or recommendations are much appreciated!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The HD rack is probably a better rack if you want to strap gear to it, but it's 3x the cost of a Motherwell; besides IMO, the Motherwell is better looking and can't see paying $230 for the HD. Kuryakin may have one and I've seen a couple others that looked like Motherwells. Beyond these two or three racks I'm not really aware of others.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I've had the Motherwell for 5 years and it still looks like new. Good product.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 PM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

H-D used to make one in the early 2000's that you may be able to find on ebay, it is styled to match the nostalgic saddlebag rails that are still available. I had one on a 93 FLHS, kept it for the 06 RK and it works with the detachable docking points. It also is flatter than the current H-D or Motherwell and may work better for luggage. Using the rack for luggage works better if there is a rider backrest to use as a tiedown point. Otherwise the luggage moves around and won't support any rider weight if you wanted to lean back a little.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the replies everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Khrome Werks solo rack?

http://www.khromewerks.com/

Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife had a Motherwell on her Dyna; I thought it was kinda flimsy; instead of bolting to the fender struts it had a center bolt going into the rear fender where the back of a two-up seat would bolt down. It "wobbled" and I was always worried it would rip the fender around the bolt hole.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Skygoose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Motherwell with thumb nut for the fender on my 2004 FLHRTPI and I like it a lot. But, having said that, it is a decorative piece only since the weight is limited to, like, ten pounds. Quality is fine and it fits nicely. For trips I put the pillion seat and back rest on and I'm good to go. I put the motherwell in the saddlebag (it doesn't take up much room) so I've got the option for solo or two up when I get where I'm going. Most of the time around home I keep the motherwell on. Just MHO.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I installed the "Luggage Rack for 1941-57 Big Twin" on my 06 RK,works well.Part #7110055 from J&P

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speed51
I installed the "Luggage Rack for 1941-57 Big Twin" on my 06 RK,works well.Part #7110055 from J&P
Pics please?

I really like the '60's style 4 channel racks, but the last time HD built one for FLH's was mid '90's and it won't "plug and play" with 2000-ish FLHs.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I ponied up and bought the HD rack. I think it was just over $200, then you gotta have the single or double point docking hardware, another $140. I've included pics so you can see for yourself.

I thought the Motherwell looked much better and has a lower profile that fits the back of a solo seat much better, but the HD seems more solid and functional.

It's a crap shoot, but pics for ya to enjoy!

Mike

Attached Thumbnails rear fender solo rack for RKC-roadking8.jpg   rear fender solo rack for RKC-roadking13.jpg   rear fender solo rack for RKC-roadking19.jpg  

Quick Reply: rear fender solo rack for RKC