Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gassy Mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have that problem as much as I use to. Some pumps are just hard to fill slowly. When I do splash gas, it is ALWAYS after a new wax job. Go figure.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
A problem with the 6 gallon tanks since 08. Just hold the nozzle slightly above the hole and squeeze slowly when it gets close to full.
This is what I do with mine.
When it gets toward the top,it takes for ever to top-off the tank.It takes a few minutes to squeeze in the last 1/2 gallon or so.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gas cuff works well except if you are trying to put in every last drop that you can.

It seems that nobody takes motorcycles into account when designing gas pump nozzles.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:26 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>I just run the pump until it shuts off automatically<<

I never do that. I don't trust it enough to shut off and not drench a hot motor and pipes in gasoline. Or fall out as I've seen that happen, and although I'm sure you keep a hand on it, I've seen people who don't. I pull the rubber seal back with my hand, so the pump will flow, and watch it fill to where I want it. If you keep a rag in the hand you're holding the rubber seal back with it will smoother most splashes.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually hold it centered in the hole and place a paper towel around it. Works good.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by NickD
I pull the rubber seal back with my hand, so the pump will flow, and watch it fill to where I want it. If you keep a rag in the hand you're holding the rubber seal back with it will smoother most splashes.

Yeah, that.
- It's easy and you don't have to buy any gadgets.
Use a couple of the paper towels they keep at the pumps and toss 'em when yer done. Simple enough.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by glenalt
I usually hold it centered in the hole and place a paper towel around it. Works good.
Way too much information....

There's not many women around who like it that way...

Last edited by Slash; 12-18-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 PM
D2R
Banned

+1 on don't try filling it to the brim.Thats when I get splashed,the last pull on the trigger.Hate the rubber boot that you have to compress.The only ones I've seen are in California

Old 12-18-2010, 11:47 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i don't like the design of the harley touring tanks other than the road kings. they have the gas cap on the right=correct side of the tank rather than in the center. it would have been much more convenient to have installed the filler cap on the right side so that when it's on the center stand the cap would be at the highest point of the tank. some of the problem is that the tank tunnel where it goes over the backbone of the frame is close to the filler neck, and that makes every bit of gas splash around in the tank while fueling.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I grab a bunch of paper towels and let them catch the splash. Works fine for me.

Quick Reply: Gassy Mess