Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question Re PC III

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:15 AM
gm9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question Re PC III

My question, does the PC III lose its Map code when you disconnect the battery? If so, what code does it default to, factory?

I have a new to me, 08 Softail Custom which has a PC III USB installed. I had to disconnect the battery while installing a cable for a battery tender. doh!

Did I screw up the map code on the PC III? If so, would anyone know a good map for a stock 96 with Samson pipes and Kuryakin Hypercharger air intake?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:56 AM
bbflhrs
Tourer

The PCIII retains the map when you disconnect your battery.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,535 Posts

no, it does not lose its map when disconnecting the battery. if those are the same components that were on the bike when you got it, then you shouldn't need a new map unless you just want to do some tweaking.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gm9
My question, does the PC III lose its Map code when you disconnect the battery? If so, what code does it default to, factory?

I have a new to me, 08 Softail Custom which has a PC III USB installed. I had to disconnect the battery while installing a cable for a battery tender. doh!

Did I screw up the map code on the PC III? If so, would anyone know a good map for a stock 96 with Samson pipes and Kuryakin Hypercharger air intake?
Did you get the USB cable, battery connector, & instructions with the PC-III? If not, you can get the instructions online, & buy the other pieces. One of the first things you should do with a PC-III is connect it to your computer & save the map that's in it. If you don't have a laptop you can take the PC-III out of the bike & connect it to your desk top computer.

The PC-III won't loose it's map when powered down, but having the map saved on a computer &/or a hard copy will always make recovery easy if you ever do encounter a problem.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain

I added a PCIII USB to my '07 Ultra and have disconnected the battery to install the Gerbings wiring for my heated gloves and had no problem. All memory is saved. I agree with having the USB cable and saving the current MAP on a laptop. I even used that as an excuse to by a new laptop!! It also gives you the ability to swap-out and try new maps or upgrade when you do mods.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM
gm9
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jinks
Did you get the USB cable, battery connector, & instructions with the PC-III? If not, you can get the instructions online, & buy the other pieces. One of the first things you should do with a PC-III is connect it to your computer & save the map that's in it. If you don't have a laptop you can take the PC-III out of the bike & connect it to your desk top computer.

The PC-III won't loose it's map when powered down, but having the map saved on a computer &/or a hard copy will always make recovery easy if you ever do encounter a problem.
Thanks Jinks for the assurance and the good advice. I installed a PC III USB on my '06 Ultra a couple of years ago, and so I still have all the cables and the software on my laptop (and the Ultra). I had just had forgotten the details of installing, maintaining, and downloading the map codes. They look to be the same PC III so I think it all should work on the '08.

I bought the '08 Softail Custom wholesale from my brother who is a car dealer who took it on trade. Its a real nice bike with less than 4k miles, tons of chrome, Kur. hypercharger, Samson pipes, and PCIII. None of the original parts taken off came with it. I'm thinking I'll keep it through the winter and sell it this coming Spring.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gm9
Thanks Jinks for the assurance and the good advice. I installed a PC III USB on my '06 Ultra a couple of years ago, and so I still have all the cables and the software on my laptop (and the Ultra). I had just had forgotten the details of installing, maintaining, and downloading the map codes. They look to be the same PC III so I think it all should work on the '08.

I bought the '08 Softail Custom wholesale from my brother who is a car dealer who took it on trade. Its a real nice bike with less than 4k miles, tons of chrome, Kur. hypercharger, Samson pipes, and PCIII. None of the original parts taken off came with it. I'm thinking I'll keep it through the winter and sell it this coming Spring.
Don't you just love those guys that spend all that money on a bike, then don't ride it? Makes for some great buys if you look around.