Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

anyone have the part# handy for these hinges?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
anyone have the part# handy for these hinges?
Here's the web site....Look it up!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Smile Part#

79211-08A for those of you feeling lazy like I was.

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP

Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What suprises me is the guys with Police bikes haven't went crazy over these. The police Bike bags use the same hinges as the tour packs and the the upgrade hinges would look much better than the stamped steel ones.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I just installed my Premium Tour Pak Hinges this evening. They look great and went in without any problems except as noted below. I paid particular attention to the instructions because of some of the issues discussed here and in another thread such as hole size and the potential for cracking of the lid and/or tour pak base.

Here’s what I found. The instructions say nothing about drilling the existing holes but in my opinion it is necessary to preclude the induction of any unwanted stresses to the tour pak or lid. Another potential source of stress that the instructions say nothing about is the surface finish of the ABS where the screws and backing plates attach. I found some burrs and raised material there that if left could cause some stresses when the hinges are torqued in place.

To eliminate these potential sources of stress I added a few steps to the Harley Davidson instructions furnished with the hinges. And although I didn’t do it on this job (this was my first time and was a learning experience) I’d use a smaller drill bit than the 3/16 called for drilling out the rivets next time. The reason being, if you drill a little too deep and end up going through the ABS, 3/16 is a little too large.

Here’s the changes and additions to the furnished instructions…

Changes:
Steps 4 & 5. Use a 5/32 or 11/64 drill bit in lieu of the specified 3/16 to remove the rivets. (Or use a dremel
as others have suggested).

Add the following steps:
5a. Removed any burrs or raised material, if any, from the inside of the tour pak and the lid around the
mounting holes.
5b. Apply a slight countersink to the inside of each mounting hole.
5c. Test fit the hinges to the lid. Open the hole diameters in the lid to accept the locating studs of the
hinge if necessary. Use a 5/32 to 11/64 drill as required.
5d. Drill the remaining 12 screw holes 11/64 as necessary.

One other thing I did differently than the instructions stated… I did not use loctite or torque any of the screws during the initial installation. What I did do is install all of the fasteners hand tight to make sure everything fit before applying loctite or torquing. Then I removed the fasteners one at a time, applied loctite, reinstalled, and finally, torqued each fastener once they were all reinstalled.

The complete job took a little under two hours. Like I said earlier, this was the first time doing this, and I was looking for any potential problems so I spent a little extra time. I’m sure if I were to do it again it would be more like an hour or less. And like a few others have said, an extra set of hands when installing the lid, although not absolutely necessary, would sure be nice.

Last edited by 2black1s; 01-10-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have done this twice now it is a easy install extra hands is nice but not nessesary.. After you remove the lid just put all the hardware on the lid first then from behind the bike with your left arm around the lid you can hold it in place while you attach the screws GOOD LUCK

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice. another thing to do on my "to do" list...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 AM
DeputyMike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it!! Take your time, it's pretty easy! Man, what a difference!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

Mine just came in today. Now I just need a free afternoon.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing not mentioned is the thread-locker and torq spec called for in the instuction sheet. OK, I admit I didn't have any red, but I did have a tube of blue and used that. Be sure you have that thread-locker on hand before starting the project, as the torque on those screws is probably lighter than you might twist them to by hand. It called for 20-25 inch pounds. My torque wrench starts at 25, and I was kinda surprised how light that is. Don't want them so tight as to have the gell coat cracking.

Quick Reply: Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges