Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodean46
There was a thread on here a week or so ago where someone did not drill the holes out larger and when re-installing the screws the abs cracked around the hinge.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...k-top-lid.html

actually in his post he said he did drill the post holes.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ain't gonna put them on unless I can find aftermarket non Harley. Tired of the mothers selling uprades of what should have been on the 20 to 30 or more thousand dollar bikes. I'll leave my crappy ones on and make it my own. If you tie a gold ribbbon on a turd does it make it your own?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by big ears
I ain't gonna put them on unless I can find aftermarket non Harley. Tired of the mothers selling uprades of what should have been on the 20 to 30 or more thousand dollar bikes. I'll leave my crappy ones on and make it my own. If you tie a gold ribbbon on a turd does it make it your own?
yea that will hit em where it hurts, probably end up shutting the factory down LOL.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big ears
So you're saying you bought a turd? Going metric next time then?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
big ears
Tourer

He He, got em.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Drill or no drill, you guys are gonna love the way you look! (I guarantee it!!)

Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
big ears
Tourer

Originally Posted by ThunderBueller
So you're saying you bought a turd? Going metric next time then?
Don't get so razzled. It was just a joke about us all getting took by the make it your own crap. Yamaha does the same with the Star line. I love my Harley as we all do. No more metric for me. The Ultra Classic is a sweet ride.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drilled out the holes on my installation...the bosses on the hinges would not fit through the original holes. Had the drill 'at the ready' from drilling out the rivets, so just poked it through the lid and tour-pak. Was a simple job...an extra pair of hands come in handy also.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
The instructions do not say to drill out the holes (At least my instructions don't.). The instructions (steps 4 and 5) say to use the 3/16" bit to drill out the "eight hinge rivets". It says nothing about drilling out the tour-pak lid or base holes.

Now if the instructions suggest that the procedure for drilling out the rivets is to continue to drill right through the tour-pak, I have a probelm with this. The metal of the rivets is much harder than the tour-pak plastic so the drill bit would deflect off and damage the tour-pak. Not cool!

The screws do fit without using a drill bit to enlarge the holes (mine are in and I didn't drill them), but the fit is very tight. The screws worked like self taping screws.
Agree, my instructions read the same as yours, but when the screws wouldn't go in, I ran the 3/16 bit through the holes and all is well

Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
Will it crack when it warms up in the sun? Will it crack with vibration? What if it twists a little when I open it wrong? Etc, etc, etc....

I can't take it anymore. In order to sleep better at night I'm going to take them off and drill the holes larger.
More likely to crack when it gets cold and the ABS material contracts slower than the screw. I see you are in Canada and maybe it won't get any colder, but are you parked in a nice warm garage right now.

Case in point. Buddy of mine altered a windshield on his softtail here in South Texas on a 90 degree day. (Drilled glass just big enough to force screws in). A few weeks later we went to Colorado and upon reaching the top of Wolf Creek Pass (temp about 40f) watched the windshield crack at two of the screw holes.

Quick Reply: Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges