Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The instructions say to use a 3/16 bit for the holes. The screws don't fit right unless you drill them out with the bit.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teardrop
The instructions say to use a 3/16 bit for the holes. The screws don't fit right unless you drill them out with the bit.
The instructions do not say to drill out the holes (At least my instructions don't.). The instructions (steps 4 and 5) say to use the 3/16" bit to drill out the "eight hinge rivets". It says nothing about drilling out the tour-pak lid or base holes.

Now if the instructions suggest that the procedure for drilling out the rivets is to continue to drill right through the tour-pak, I have a probelm with this. The metal of the rivets is much harder than the tour-pak plastic so the drill bit would deflect off and damage the tour-pak. Not cool!

The screws do fit without using a drill bit to enlarge the holes (mine are in and I didn't drill them), but the fit is very tight. The screws worked like self taping screws.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
The instructions do not say to drill out the holes (At least my instructions don't.). The instructions (steps 4 and 5) say to use the 3/16" bit to drill out the "eight hinge rivets". It says nothing about drilling out the tour-pak lid or base holes.

Now if the instructions suggest that the procedure for drilling out the rivets is to continue to drill right through the tour-pak, I have a probelm with this. The metal of the rivets is much harder than the tour-pak plastic so the drill bit would deflect off and damage the tour-pak. Not cool!

The screws do fit without using a drill bit to enlarge the holes (mine are in and I didn't drill them), but the fit is very tight. The screws worked like self taping screws.
I'll not argue the issue with you,I won't even go take mine off to go look, but I remember the hinges "fitting into the hole" a little bit. They can't fit properly without enlarging the holes. I have put on 3 sets, all got drilled to 3/16".

Mark

Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we should form a committee to determine the absolute best way to install these.

2 weeks later...

Committee findings: 1) Call ahead to set appointment. 2) Take new bike in trailer back to H-D. 3) Explain to Service Tech that in spite of 14 different methods explained on line, you are not confident enough to drill out a rivet and you would really prefer a trained professional install your new hinges. Don't forget to thank your Svc Tech and be sure to tell him you tip, then wink.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
I'll not argue the issue with you, I won't even go take mine off to go look, but I remember the hinges "fitting into the hole" a little bit. They can't fit properly without enlarging the holes. I have put on 3 sets, all got drilled to 3/16".

Mark
Same here. No way that machine thread screw is going to screw through the TP material and into the hinge and not create some stress points.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Originally Posted by thealaskan
Maybe we should form a committee to determine the absolute best way to install these.

2 weeks later...

Committee findings: 1) Call ahead to set appointment. 2) Take new bike in trailer back to H-D. 3) Explain to Service Tech that in spite of 14 different methods explained on line, you are not confident enough to drill out a rivet and you would really prefer a trained professional install your new hinges. Don't forget to thank your Svc Tech and be sure to tell him you tip, then wink.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
wstalker
2nd Gear

are they made in the usa

Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine went on fine and I did not drill anything other then the head of the rivet off. Mine fit fine and went on just like they were supposed to. No way would I drill them out that big. If I was going to drill I would go to the drill bit size that was just barely bigger then the hole.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a thread on here a week or so ago where someone did not drill the holes out larger and when re-installing the screws the abs cracked around the hinge.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to drill them for the screws to fit! Nice looking hinges for sure.....

Quick Reply: Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges