Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Follow the directions and remove the stock hinge pins and lid before you start removing rivets.
2. Drilling the rivets works however I found that grinding the heads off with a Dremel is much easier then drilling around the lid seal. You're working on the opposite side away from the seal.
3. Use blue tape to cover the paint in any area you are working. One slip with the drill or dremel and you'll wish you did.
4. You will need to drill the holes out for the new screws since the screws are slightly bigger than the rivets.
5. You will only need extra hands when it comes time to bolt the lid back on. I managed without help.
Great instructions!!

I just did two in the past couple of weeks......the 1st was a "learning" experience. Follow the above and use a new drill bit........(not the self starting kind).

Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine too. drilled out the riveds but it would of been better to grind the heads off them from the inside of the tour pax. But a great upgrand to what was there.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PNSHVL
Did the same thing to mine. I thought grinding off rivets by weather stripping with dremel was easier than drilling.
If you don't have a grinder, use a putty knife or something else flat and thin to lay against the seal while drilling.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
Thanks for the info guys, I was looking for a weekend project, now I think I have found it.
You better find something else to install when you pick up the new hinge cuz tose will only take an hour or so.

btw, the instructions don't say a word about drilling the rivet holes to a larger size to accomodate the new screws, but you will need to. Just make sure you drill only the amount needed to fit the screws in

Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished installing mine. Not hard but when you start drilling it makes you pucker a little. Looks sooo much better.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

Yeah, it's an easy job. The only thing I would add is that if you have the Air Wing luggage rack with the light kit, make sure you disconnect the wire before you lift off the lid. Otherwise you'll be standing there feeling kinda foolish.

Don't ask me how I learned this.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a must upgrade. The stock hinges look like crap.

Drilling or dremel, both work to get rid of the rivets. Always use a new, sharp drill bit. You need not put much pressure on the rivet when drilling because a good bit will cut through the curls of the rivet quickly. Once the rivets are out and the old hardware is removed, don't drill the holes any bigger than necessary for the new little fasteners. You can do this job yourself if you must, but it's not recommended. There is way too many opportunities to **** something up and create some bad scratching. My wife helped me once I was ready to put the new hinges on. She also helped me hold-back the rubber gasket when it was time to drill out those rivets that hide under that gasket...so as not to nick or damage the gasket.
Yes, 4 hands are recommended on this job, not mandatory, but recommended.
And yes, it is a sorry damn shame that a CVO model comes with the **** stock hinges. But CVOs come with a lot of stock **** that shouldn't be on a bike of that price class.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
This is a must upgrade. The stock hinges look like crap.
And yes, it is a sorry damn shame that a CVO model comes with the **** stock hinges. But CVOs come with a lot of stock **** that shouldn't be on a bike of that price class.
Just got home from shopping at my local HD shop. They had a 2011 FLTRUSE sitting right inside the door. $38K+ and guess what?????

$5 hinges on the Tourpak.

Even the salesmen are shaking their heads on that one!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:26 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
Just got home from shopping at my local HD shop. They had a 2011 FLTRUSE sitting right inside the door. $38K+ and guess what?????

$5 hinges on the Tourpak.

Even the salesmen are shaking their heads on that one!!!
Did the same thing today in Corpus Christi, 2011 CVO Ultra with these cheap lookin hinges.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM
W0ace
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine went ok. Still not finished completely, the hinge part is for the most part. I am also installing a TourPak Bra, so I haven't put the lid back on yet. Waiting for the Velcro to sit 24 hours, then will put it all back together.

I went and got 2 new drill bits. I had a 3/16", but it had seen better days. So I got a new one and a spare. Worked fine, and drill bit still looks like new. Tried the hinges real quick for fit/looks. No problems.

Sure does look lots better! Good $50 spent!

Quick Reply: Deluxe Tour-pak Hinges