Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!

Anyone elses do this??

I will be with my buds, leaving a stop sign and there is a nice, straight road in front of us.......we gas it (bikes behind us as well). I launch the bike in 1st gear (full throttle once rolling....no popping throttle), shift in 2nd and all of a sudden......the motor just shuts off!! This is THE most dangerous thing I have ever had happen.......the bikes behind almost plow into me as I franticly wave my left hand in the air.

How do I fix this?

I have a PCV.........

I CAN NOT have this happen again.......I'm gonna hurt someone (or should I say my bike suddely shutting down will).

Sometimes the bike shuts down for 1 second, sometimes I end up coming to a stop on the shoulder before it re fires........whats the deal??

I need to get this fixed.......help!!

Chris

Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old is the bike? Does it happen often? Possibly bad gas or dirty injectors... Need more input.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Always start simple on the troubleshooting. What did you do to the bike last? If it was the PC V then remove it and see if the trouble goes away. More often than not the trouble is going to be something that has been done to the bike recently. You might want to contact Fuel Moto also since they tuned it and see what they think. I was going to say take it to the dealer but if you have cams and etc. done I guess the warranty thing is out the window. Note to self, leave the bike stock until the warranty is over.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 12-14-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since its a 10, I would take it to the dealer, IMO thats what the warranty is for. Has it happened more than once? It could be a number of things from electrical to fuel.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I do not like add ons, however you may want to check your rev-limiter setting, a simple way to check would be to take the PCV off and see if it is still doing this, The rev limiter should only interrupt for a moment then you should get your power back, dont take it to the dealer with this complaint with the power commander hooked up they will automatically say that is the problem and maybe void your warranty.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I would recheck the connections of the PCV, and if they seemed good, I would temporarily remove it and then try and simulate the situation. If it doesnt do it with the PC removed, install it back and see if you can duplicate it. That way you can rule out any possibility of the PC. If it does it with the PC removed, leave it removed then take it back to dealer, should still be under warranty since its a 10 model.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie (fuel moto) had mentioned something about the rev limiter. He (Jamie) made it sound like all the throttle by wire bikes do this.........I'm just seeing if anyone's does it as bad as mine.

Jamie gave me a very good explination about WHY it does it........again, I'm not questioning Jamie, I'm just making sure there are other 2010's out there doing this same thing.

Anyone??

Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
musicman1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the rev limiter. Haven't had the problem with my 2010 Ultra (still pure stock til Christmas) but I tagged where the rev limiter kicked in and always shift right before there on WOT.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flattracker60
Jamie (fuel moto) had mentioned something about the rev limiter. He (Jamie) made it sound like all the throttle by wire bikes do this.........I'm just seeing if anyone's does it as bad as mine.

Jamie gave me a very good explination about WHY it does it........again, I'm not questioning Jamie, I'm just making sure there are other 2010's out there doing this same thing.

Anyone??
I don't know anything about FuelMoto or the people involved (Jamie) but....

If I have interpretted your version correctly you are saying that a third party product has been fitted and the supplier is stating that there is a known issue with this product and how it interacts with your bike. If this is the case, I would be seriously encouraging them to take a more active interest and get this sorted, or attach a proper "health warning" to their product in future.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by flattracker60
Anyone elses do this??

I will be with my buds, leaving a stop sign and there is a nice, straight road in front of us.......we gas it (bikes behind us as well). I launch the bike in 1st gear (full throttle once rolling....no popping throttle), shift in 2nd and all of a sudden......the motor just shuts off!! This is THE most dangerous thing I have ever had happen.......the bikes behind almost plow into me as I franticly wave my left hand in the air.

How do I fix this?

I have a PCV.........

I CAN NOT have this happen again.......I'm gonna hurt someone (or should I say my bike suddely shutting down will).

Sometimes the bike shuts down for 1 second, sometimes I end up coming to a stop on the shoulder before it re fires........whats the deal??

I need to get this fixed.......help!!

Chris
Here's the fix. Guaranteed:

Ditch the PCV, get a TTS, SERT, or the new Power Commander downloader.

When a PCV is connected and you try to shift too fast, the throttle body will close if it doesn't sense you rolling off the throttle completely.

I beat the hell out of my TTS equipped bike, and never have the problem. I can reproduce the problem you're having on my buddy's '09 Road King with a PCV at will. Shift too fast, then it's like the bike shuts off.

My buddy and I have the exact same mods, save for the fueling device. Woods TW6-6 cams, Thunderheaders, SE intakes. We dynoed the same day within 2hp and 2 lb-ft of each other.

Roll off the throttle 100% and grab it again and the bike is fine. Must be a glitch in how the PCV processes the signal. IDK, I'm not a programmer, not sure why it does that.

Quick Reply: '10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!