Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Again, this loss of power when shifting at the rev limiter is a function of the ECM which has safeguards and strategies in place for the DBW system, this info is right in the Harley Owners Manual under Electronic Throttle Control (ETC). As noted earlier it is possible for the ECM to see a potential problem when the bike is shifted agressively at the rev limiter and the bike is going into ETC Power Management Mode, ETC Limited Performance Mode or ETC Forced Shutdown Mode momentarily.
So ALL bikes with DBW do what mine does?

My buddy Derricks 09 SG has never done it and he rides just like I do (he's the other 800 e-tec in the pic...lol). The difference is he has stock cams and a SE tuner.

Maybe I'll switch stuff up so I dont have to rev the motor to 6200 to get all of what its got out of it.

And, its more then "a loss of power", its a "the motor shuts off".......just so we're clear.

I was just talking to the wife over breakfast........you will see my bike sooner then later Jamie.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by flattracker60

My buddy Derricks 09 SG has never done it and he rides just like I do (he's the other 800 e-tec in the pic...lol). The difference is he has stock cams and a SE tuner.

Maybe I'll switch stuff up so I dont have to rev the motor to 6200 to get all of what its got out of it.

And, its more then "a loss of power", its a "the motor shuts off".......just so we're clear.

I was just talking to the wife over breakfast........you will see my bike sooner then later Jamie.
These safeguards are used all 08-up DBW models, as I noted earlier the specific strategies/parameters change based on year, model and calibration level. Some setups and calibrations may be more sensitive to DBW faults when shifting aggressively at the rev limiter, however we have only seen this in extremely rare occasions and as often as not it is a stock bike as opposed to having a PC-V installed. Again, this is an ECM strategy, when the ECM sees an ETC fault it closes the throttle blade just like you are rolling off the throttle until the control system sees is correct and then goes back to normal operation. Get your bike here, we will try to replicate it and we will work on a solution for those speed shifts on the limiter

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to tell you this and the other thread has me questioning what I was going to do with my bike this winter? I come from the days when we always new to keep the bike stock because it always was a problems coming around the corner when you did not! Now I bought this new HD and after reading of all the different things everyone has been doing to their bikes and no mention of any issues and now in 2 days some really bad items coming up I have to tell you I will not be going in a direction I was going to go, and that might be OK .I bought a Tourer and not a SPEED BIKE so if I lose 2 HP and 4 TQ SO WHAT ! The bike will still get me where I have to get when I am cruiseing in the middle of the desert in Nevada at Night !

Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not let a few bad experiences hold me back from doing what I wanted to with my bike, weird stuff happens don't matter what brand it is

Last edited by Garcou; 12-17-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flattracker60
Mine does not, only time I have hit 6200 rpm is when my left foot got lazy and missed a gear.

I have the woods 6-6 cam and the SE tuner.

Check your dyno chart even if you didn't shut down you are loosing power shifting at 6200 rpm's as with most builds. Maybe a V-rod would fit your riding style better. If you build it not to fall off at 6200 you will more than likely loose low end torque on a heavy bike and your buddies will still walk you on a roll on unless you go really big bore.

Agree not safe if you ride in those rpm ranges.

Wish Jamie was closer but then again I'd be broker.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:36 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garcou
I would not let a few bad experiences hold me back from doing what I wanted to with my bike, weird stuff happens don't matter what brand it is

I agree. If all I did was "ride" my bike, I would never have this problem. I'm asking alot of this bike, and it delivers. I am beating bikes with WAY more money invested in their motors.......I have a programer, cams and a pipe, and am smoking bikes with BB kits!!

My bike rocks! It just has a little issue that will get taken care of.......I promise!