Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
6023zub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flattracker60
Anyone elses do this??

I will be with my buds, leaving a stop sign and there is a nice, straight road in front of us.......we gas it (bikes behind us as well). I launch the bike in 1st gear (full throttle once rolling....no popping throttle), shift in 2nd and all of a sudden......the motor just shuts off!! This is THE most dangerous thing I have ever had happen.......the bikes behind almost plow into me as I franticly wave my left hand in the air.

How do I fix this?

I have a PCV.........

I CAN NOT have this happen again.......I'm gonna hurt someone (or should I say my bike suddely shutting down will).

Sometimes the bike shuts down for 1 second, sometimes I end up coming to a stop on the shoulder before it re fires........whats the deal??

I need to get this fixed.......help!!

Chris
Got a couple of questions. When this happens, if you roll off the throttle, does the bike come back to life or do you have to actually restart the bike? Also, at what RPM does this occur?

Buz

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a bad PCV - where'd you buy it from? I bought mine from Fuel Moto, had a similar problem and they replaced the unit for me PRONTO.

I wouldn't worry about ditching it. See how your bike runs without it connected, and contact whomever you bought it from. Unless you bought it on the cheap, they should stand behind it.

of course it could be something else, but base on my own experience, it sounds like a bad PCV unit.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought all my "stuff" (pipe, PC, filter, cams) from Jamie.

I didnt know that a "bad PC" could be the problem.

Jamie.......?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

like the others have suggested. remove the pcv and see if it happens. i'm not a fan of third party tuners at all. each to their own though. removing the pcv will almost surely cure your ills. if so, then you know what was going on.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 AM
legendzzz
Road Master

Man thats what gets me nervous when you start to get away from stock? Another reason not to have cams done ? If I do muff slip ons-A/C and do not need a PCV I think I will stay FAR AWAY! I have a stock (until this month) 2010 UC never had any trouble at al , especialy one that can KILL you.!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

For fear of digressing from the OP question, the thing that intrigues me is this..

If this was a HD part we would have 3 pages of posts saying how cr&p HD are, the parts are made in China etc etc. Just because it's a third party product it get's cut slack. Seems unfair to me

Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain

Rev limiter. Scarey as hell the first itme it hapens. Let's just say I hit it a couple of times and surprised the crap out of me each time!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
flattracker60
Tourer

Yea, I've "bounced of the rev limiter" on other bikes (and cars for that matter), this is different.......sometimes is "stalls" for a half a second, sometimes for 5 seconds or more.

I dont want this to turn into a bashing of parts, then my issue is something totally different (pinched wire under seat or something dumb). I also Jamie will fix it if he can.

Again, just wanna see if my bike is "normal"??

Also, its -15 degrees in WI this am.......only bike I'm riding is my CR500 ice bike!!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
flattracker60
Tourer

Originally Posted by JCleary
Here's the fix. Guaranteed:

Ditch the PCV, get a TTS, SERT, or the new Power Commander downloader.

When a PCV is connected and you try to shift too fast, the throttle body will close if it doesn't sense you rolling off the throttle completely.

I beat the hell out of my TTS equipped bike, and never have the problem. I can reproduce the problem you're having on my buddy's '09 Road King with a PCV at will. Shift too fast, then it's like the bike shuts off.

My buddy and I have the exact same mods, save for the fueling device. Woods TW6-6 cams, Thunderheaders, SE intakes. We dynoed the same day within 2hp and 2 lb-ft of each other.

Roll off the throttle 100% and grab it again and the bike is fine. Must be a glitch in how the PCV processes the signal. IDK, I'm not a programmer, not sure why it does that.

Kinda wish Jamie would see this and reply.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flattracker60
Kinda wish Jamie would see this and reply.
Send him a pm.

Quick Reply: '10 Ultra......just shuts down when it wants at WOT!!