Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on 2-tone tank paint job on road king

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of the two-color scheme as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

here is a pic of my ol 2000 road king was a custom hd paint set that harley had in the 03 catalog..
red and birch white aka creeeeam

Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pparker1213

Any thoughts or suggestion for other colors. I know they did this with black on the bottom but that's to dark for me.

hope this attachment works

Thanks
The creme looks AWESOME on your tank. I'd incorporate some in the front and rear fenders as well. Not so much as a wide stripe in the middle like the factory paint. Photoshop it around a few different ways. I think you are on the right track.
my dos pesos

Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, since you are asking for opinions...

I prefer the solid color look. And besides, think of all the add-ons you can do with the $$$ set aside for the paint job.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yes, i've seen advertisements with a two tone older harley in american iron magazine and that two tone of the birch white, or cream color really looks sharp. sorta like the way they were painted in the past, perhaps the sixties? it's the vivid black with a cream color, and taped to make for a nice pinstripe around the panel. it sure looked nostalgic to me, i like it a lot.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

My tank came two-tone but I added Birch White to the fenders and side panel a couple years ago...and I get lots of compliments on the outcome. If it was me, I'd also consider adding whichever color you go with to the front, rear fenders and side panel. Have your photoshopper add some Birch white to the picture and see how it looks. One note: There was a thread here sometime ago with those who bought bikes with cream saying the contrast between cream / white wall tires is a bit irksome, and that white paint looks better with white walled tires.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
pparker1213
6th Gear

Dam, now I am really confused. Was leaning towards the cream and then the idea of it contrasting with the white sidewalls and the pic and the white and blue. I think I will play with Photoshop a bit more.

Thanks for all the replies

Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pparker1213
Dam, now I am really confused. Was leaning towards the cream and then the idea of it contrasting with the white sidewalls and the pic and the white and blue. I think I will play with Photoshop a bit more.

Thanks for all the replies
FWIW, I think the Birch white would look jgood with Black Cherry Pearl...as would a cream color. Take another look at the Turquoise/Cream Road Kings and see whether it really makes a difference. I didn't mean to confuse, but its a subject that came up once before. Also, check out forum member (Monstead) garage and see how it works on her bike.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
My tank came two-tone but I added Birch White to the fenders and side panel a couple years ago...and I get lots of compliments on the outcome. If it was me, I'd also consider adding whichever color you go with to the front, rear fenders and side panel. Have your photoshopper add some Birch white to the picture and see how it looks. One note: There was a thread here sometime ago with those who bought bikes with cream saying the contrast between cream / white wall tires is a bit irksome, and that white paint looks better with white walled tires.

This paint combo/scheme looks great, IMHO. Well done -- and while custom, not necessarily "non-Harley" in appearance. And I agree with the observation of cream paint and WW tires...not a good match.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 PM
redhog99
Intermediate

Paint should compliment the white in the ww tires if you are running them

Quick Reply: thoughts on 2-tone tank paint job on road king