Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Disc/Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
There seem to be a couple of posts about this...

Can't help but ask what the reasoning is. Looks? Weight loss? Cost of maintenance? An attempt at deminishing brake dust? Why would you want less braking power?

No I'm not dissin anyone's choice, I just don't understand...
It seems that a lot of guys do it because they feel that they spent all this money on a front wheel & then it's partially blocked by a brake set up. It's a pretty common thing on bikes with aftermarket wheels. The right side is removed because when a bike is parked, it leans to the left side on the kick stand giving you a great view of the wheel from the right side.
It may be a great idea to upgrade your brakes when doing this.
When people say that you don't lose any braking I think they're partially right. You probably won't notice it when you initially test it cause you're really not taxing the brakes but if your carving up some back roads or trying to stop quickly at speed your brakes may start to develop fade quicker because there isn't another caliper & rotor to assist the other side. This is, of course, meant for stock brakes.

Last edited by thecort; 12-14-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by thecort
It seems that a lot of guys do it because they feel that they spent all this money on a front wheel & then it's partially blocked by a brake set up. It's a pretty common thing on bikes with aftermarket wheels. The right side is removed because when a bike is parked, it leans to the left side on the kick stand giving you a great view of the wheel from the right side.
It's a great idea to upgrade your brakes when doing this.
When people say that you don't lose any braking I think they're partially right. You probably won't notice it when you initially test it cause your really not taxing the brakes but if your carving up some back roads or trying to stop quickly at speed your brakes may start to develop fade quicker because there isn't another caliper & rotor to assist the other side.
yes you are 100% correct I shaved my right caliper when I installed a set of 16" aftermarket wheels. I wanted 16" wheels because I travel a lot and knew I could find a tire at any dealer if I ever had a flat on the road. But the right side rotor covered up most of the wheel, so I shaved the mounts before I had my lower legs chromed. I can tell you I have ridden the Cherahola Skyway, Dragon, Blue Ridge parkway end-to-end a couple times, up and down Mt. Washington, and countless other twisty roads from Maine to Georgia with this setup. I ride agressively on twisty roads. I have never experienced one issue with front braking with this setup, and I feel like I could do stoppies if I tried hard enough. Some people feel compelled to give opinions on what they THINK even tho they actually have no EXPERIENCE with the setup... I just don't get it and it aggravates me a little sometimes, but thats all part of the glorious internet I guess.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

just do it