Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley take off parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Even if you are taking delivery on a new bike with something like upgraded mufflers, etc., you still paid for the stock ones and they should be given to you unless you authorize otherwise. Unless, of course, the dealer credits you back for the stock stuff....but I think you have a better chance of seeing God
A much better chance.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer does table sales and swap meets. I keep all my parts because I paid for them and I may need them some day.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the closest dealer to me about that one time. The parts guy at the counter. He said they weren't allowed to sell any take-offs. That apparently is not by way of the moco. I'd guess the dealer is selling them some way if the original owners don't take them. I don't particularly like my closest dealer but not driving 2 times the distance for nit picky items. They just never seem to be there to actually help. But they will try to sell you a bike every time you go in. When I go in I always walk around and check out what they have to maybe get an idea for what I might want on mine. Here they come "lookin to buy a bike today?" No just looking at the accessories on them. "I can get you a good deal on it". I already have an 08. "You know they put a better frame in starting in 2009 and you can get a 103 now too." Thanks I have a 107 in my streetglide. You get the picture. It goes on till I get to the parts counter or go look at the clothes. Almost hate to go in there. If my wife is there with me they try to sell her a bike. I know it's their job but don't be overbearing. If I say I am not buying a bike, leave me alone. Sorry for the rant, I was just in there 3 days ago for fork seals. PITA

Old 12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I think many dealers are unscrupulous and fail to mention anything to the owners hoping nothing is said, hence they get to keep the parts. My guess is many new owners forget that they are even entitled to the parts and don't ask about them. Hell, I once asked about the parts and the service person gave me a song and dance basically saying "what do you need them for"?

Originally Posted by ThePointman
I assume many people leave their "take off" parts behind. I

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
sc00ter50
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a painted inner fairing installed before I took delivery, and the dealer told me the take off would be boxed up and waiting with the bike. About a week before delivery one the owners made me a fair offer for it to use on one of his project bikes. Saved me the trouble of putting it on Ebay. I have a buddy who works for a Tampa dealership, I am amazed at what people "leave behind" when they have upgrades done. I have a pair of SE touring mufflers that were a take off from a 2011 CVO bike in the garage right now. The guy had true duals installed and did not want them. My buddy shipped them up to me, all I had to do was pay the shipping.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always take my take off parts with me if I have the dealer do the install, however I do almost all my own installs. Resell the parts here on the forum or ebay.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 PM
W0ace
Tourer

Mine keeps them after 24 hours if you dont pick them up. They then sell them off to smaller independent dealers I have been told.......

I asked when looking for wheels and stuff.....

Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Arsharknose
Advanced

Not sure why folks would leave them behind. Like leaving money on the table. There are plenty of outlets to sell take offs.
It's as easy as ebay.... where I shop for parts.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's criminal if a dealer removes parts and doesn't hand them over to you. They belong to you - you paid for them, as well as their replacements.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

As I understand it dealers are not supposed to sell take offs under any circumstances. I don't doubt that many do but the MoCo isn't supposed to know.
It involves liability as well as the fact that they're there to sell new parts.
Lots of dealers will throw them in the dumpster and look the other way when people dig through the stuff for useable parts.
You're certainly entitled to take your old parts home. I always do and some will go back on the bike before it's sold. Some will get sold or kept as spares.

Quick Reply: New Harley take off parts