Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was bound to happen sometime...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,423 Likes on 22,401 Posts

Deal with the scratch as you want. There's a lot of different ways.
I'd probably live with it.

I would say thouigh that you should probably build a bike room in your your existing garage to avoid that happening again or build or get a shed that you could have adjacent to your garage for the bike and bike equipment or things like tripods and lawn and garden equipment. One can never have enough room.

I say this as I need also need a shed for my snowblower, lawnmower, that kind of stuff.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:05 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Divorce her heheehe

You will get more so dont freak, just buff it out.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

onaride63
Senior Rider
2005 H D roadking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalm
Well, I got my first scratch. The wife dropped a tripod on my front fender when moving some stuff around in the garage. The scratch isn't real bad and I'm not freaking out, however, I would like to fill it in and make it look half decent without spending a lot. It's vivid black, and the scratch is real thin and only about a half inch long, so it shouldn't be hard to cover. What are some good ways to fill in the spot for under fifty bucks or so?

Before anyone suggests it, my wife is awesome and I'm not getting rid of her LOL.

Here's how i fix mine.

Materials needed,

2000 grit sand paper for ( wet sanding )
small tube of vivid black scratch repair paint
small tube of clear coat
small tipped hobby type paint brushes
3'' buffing pads ( 2 ) and pad adaptor, found at any auto paint / detail shop.
hand drill
buffing compound and polish, both you can get when you pick up your buffing bads.
microfiber towel
If you have a drill total for materiels is around 80 bucks.

1st.

Take one of the small brushes and put a thin coat of black in the scratch.The key is THIN.let it dry for about a 1/2 hr then repeat until the scratch is filled to the surface level. This could take 3 or 4 applications

2nd

Get your sandpaper wet. Wet sand lightly on and around the scratch area. Keep a dry microfiber towel handy and wipe clean every couple minites.
keep checking with your finger tip. your wanting to get the paint you put in to be smooth with the rest of the surface. once smooth, step 3

3rd

Get your clear coat and apply 1 very thin coat and let dry for about 30 minites. and repeat 1 more time.

4th

wet sand again to smooth surface.

once you get it smooth you can buff

5th

apply buffing compound to buffing pad and buff lightly. Wipe clean.If your satisfied then buff with polish.

Since your scratch is in a very visable area you might want to do what I did and that is remove your seat, put a small scratch on your fender under your seat area and practice on that scratch.

I fixed 3 small chips from rocks last night while watching football and was done by the third qtr.

hope this helps. any questions send me a pm.

================================================== =========

Or you can just get a bullethole decal to stick over it.......

BTW ---- thanks Onaride63 for the detail-- that info is a keeper for someday/sometime-- I've just been lucky so far....

Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I would never do all that work for a minor half inch scratch. That's the beauty of vivid black. I always just used touch up paint that I got from the dealer (you can get it most anywhere, black you know). I never sanded, just cleaned, shook up the little bottle and used the enclosed brush to touch up. Go riding.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

thats one reason why I passed on the color options.anyway there were some good options posted.

I plan on given my bike going on 5 yrs old a treatment of that back to black(turtle wax stuff?),works like magic with black dye in a pre treatment and in the wax.Its found at any auto store...down side is it isnt permanent.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to have a black car that got scratched a lot. Turtle wax makes a black wax that comes with a little pen like stick applicator that's sort of like a grease pencil. You cover the scratch with the applicator until the crack is filled and wipe the excess off the rest of the paint. Then the black wax is applied and buffed. Results were pretty decent and it was cheap, fast, and easy. As I recall, Turtle wax had several different colors of this stuff. Might be worth a shot.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a 1/2 inch fine scratch on a fender. An errant piece of gravel could do that quite easily. I guess we can all thank the good lord it wasn't the tank or fairing. Its a motorcycle...

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Arsharknose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After that first one she's all broke in. Now it's time to ride..

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

How about a big "got milk" bumper sticker or something

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

================================================== =========

BTW ---- thanks Onaride63 for the detail-- that info is a keeper for someday/sometime-- I've just been lucky so far....[/quote]

your welcome

Quick Reply: It was bound to happen sometime...