Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was bound to happen sometime...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=dmaldojr;7649809]That just adds character to your bike put a bandaid with ouch written on it.

or a bullet hole sticker. LOL

Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its just a surface scratch rubbing compound and some elbo grease and then wax it. let me say this harley clear is very soft and scrathes very easy.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Take a ride down a gravel road. Guaranty you won't be able to see that little scratch when you're done.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
It may just look like it went through the clear. My friend thought his scratches were through to the primer because it was a dullish gray color. This is because when the clear coat gets scratched sometimes the smudge looks gray. A cheap solution may be to try Meguires ScratchX to see if it makes it any better before going through the steps onaride63 described above.
What TickTock said

Scratch X is pretty mild so might take a while but not being a paint guy I like to go easy a take my time.Might surprise ya and lessen it or make it go away completely.

Dings add character but I only leave the ones I can't
easily get rid of...( always nice if ya ever sell it )

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Welcome to the club...at least it's not right in the midle of your tank where you can see it all the time. Try the black clay & wax trick - should make it pretty much invisible.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

onaride63's method is sound. I posted a repair process on another thread a few weeks ago very similar to onaride63's. I'll search for it later and post it here if I can find it.

One difference in my process is when you fill the scratch with the color coat I like to leave it slighly below the finished surface allowing for the clear coat to provide the final build to the finished surface.

And one other thing to try on yours... If the scratch isn't all the way through the base coat (color), then you can skip the color coat steps and simply do the clearcoat part of the process.

Before applying any paint use a cotton swap or something similar with some solvent to clean the area. Alcohol works good. Avoid using anything as aggressive as lacquer thinner or acetone as it can attack the original finish.

I'm not sure what type of paint the Harley touch-up kits are, but if they are acrylic lacquer like many auto touch-up kits from the dealer, I don't like to use them. You can do a much better job with urethane auto paint products.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onaride63
Here's how i fix mine.

Materials needed,

2000 grit sand paper for ( wet sanding )
small tube of vivid black scratch repair paint
small tube of clear coat
small tipped hobby type paint brushes
3'' buffing pads ( 2 ) and pad adaptor, found at any auto paint / detail shop.
hand drill
buffing compound and polish, both you can get when you pick up your buffing bads.
microfiber towel
If you have a drill total for materiels is around 80 bucks.

1st.

Take one of the small brushes and put a thin coat of black in the scratch.The key is THIN.let it dry for about a 1/2 hr then repeat until the scratch is filled to the surface level. This could take 3 or 4 applications

2nd

Get your sandpaper wet. Wet sand lightly on and around the scratch area. Keep a dry microfiber towel handy and wipe clean every couple minites.
keep checking with your finger tip. your wanting to get the paint you put in to be smooth with the rest of the surface. once smooth, step 3

3rd

Get your clear coat and apply 1 very thin coat and let dry for about 30 minites. and repeat 1 more time.

4th

wet sand again to smooth surface.

once you get it smooth you can buff

5th

apply buffing compound to buffing pad and buff lightly. Wipe clean.If your satisfied then buff with polish.

Since your scratch is in a very visable area you might want to do what I did and that is remove your seat, put a small scratch on your fender under your seat area and practice on that scratch.

I fixed 3 small chips from rocks last night while watching football and was done by the third qtr.

hope this helps. any questions send me a pm.
No doubt this will work, and it probably works great. Half inch scratch, I'd just ride it. Besides, by the third quarter I'm too many beers into the game to work on anything, and the payback from the wife would have a happy ending.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you say, bound to happen...

I had mine less than 48 hours.
Picked it up on a friday afternoon.
Dropped it sunday morning.
On gravel....nice, new, white gravel.

My solution was a combination of Duplicolor's "Scratch Fix 2in1" paint pens/mini-brush and Mother's "Scratch X2.0" wax.
I got the paint color "NG CC 427", which is "Brilliant Black Crystal PXR, AXR Chyrsler" since they don't have HD paint.

Worked wonders. The pen is accurate enough to perfectly fill in the scratches (if you're careful enough) and no have a big blog of paint. Then smooth it all out with the scratch-remover wax. Yea, you can still see them if you look for them but they're about as faded into the rest of paint as is likely possible without doing the whole part from scratch (pun intended).

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
sloppy joe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand how you feel. My wife dropped a rusty garden rake on my front fender the day I brought my bike home. Can't go too crazy with a scratch. Now you too have a guilt tool to use when buying some mods.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waxed mine and it and no one even notices. It depends on the scratch and how much it really bothers you.

You can keep your wife if you want, but don't make any hasty decisions.

Quick Reply: It was bound to happen sometime...