Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the leather saddle bags be cleaned/restored???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can the leather saddle bags be cleaned/restored???

my bags are a bit scratched up but otherwise in good working condition - I wonder if there is a product that will help to restore to a like new condition?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

The best product I've found Is Doc Bailey's leather black, it brings back the color to faded bags or any black leather. I've used it on RKC bags when I had one & on my leather coats, haven't figured out how to do links but it's docbailey.com.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Clean them with Lexol. Pep Boys has it. I use Vinylex, then Doc Bailey's but I am rather ****. I put a ton of Vinylex and let it soak in and rub it in with my hand. Then wipe it down. Then Doc Bailey's and they look brand new.

Drew

Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc Bailey's works great!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Doc Baileys uis Great. It will restore the color, and shine, however, be aware, the scratches will still be there, just minimized due to the shine and color. Thats ok, because one of the draws of Leather is the way it wears over time. Being a natural product, the scratches can't be removed without turning the area to suede. remeber, its simply a dried and treated Hide of an animal.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used leather cleaner, a couple coats of Doc Bailey's, then after that soaked in I used the Harley brand leather conditioner.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:44 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
The best product I've found Is Doc Bailey's leather black, it brings back the color to faded bags or any black leather. I've used it on RKC bags when I had one & on my leather coats, haven't figured out how to do links but it's docbailey.com.
Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Clean them with Lexol. Pep Boys has it. I use Vinylex, then Doc Bailey's but I am rather ****. I put a ton of Vinylex and let it soak in and rub it in with my hand. Then wipe it down. Then Doc Bailey's and they look brand new.

Drew
Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
Doc Bailey's works great!!!
Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Doc Baileys uis Great. It will restore the color, and shine, however, be aware, the scratches will still be there, just minimized due to the shine and color. Thats ok, because one of the draws of Leather is the way it wears over time. Being a natural product, the scratches can't be removed without turning the area to suede. remeber, its simply a dried and treated Hide of an animal.
Originally Posted by chevele72
I used leather cleaner, a couple coats of Doc Bailey's, then after that soaked in I used the Harley brand leather conditioner.
Thanks all - sounds like doc bailey's is the answer - guess I have to live with the scratches though -was thinking maybe I would add fringe to the bag to cover those up - we'll see...might not like that look.