Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator WOES

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I plan on taking mine apart and doing this mod prior to next season just in case. Those that have done the mod have been reporting 9-10k miles and looking at it and it appeared to have no issues.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same fluid /same goo

That funny that i saw the same exact goo when i pulled my 96 out a couple weeks ago and the first thing i thought was that there was no flow of new fluid in that area. Now the mystery is solved and i have to pull the other SE compensator that i just installed and modify it. Only here would i find this info out. What a great bunch of guys and a wealth of knowledge we have here

Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't get excited, it is simple. The three spokes of the gear are riding up and down the ramps of the compensator and there is some wear there. If you look at the three spokes of the gear you will see signs of wear. It should almost stop after the two parts seat in together. If you think about it,it is two pieces of metal rubbing together under a lot of pressure. Just change the oil in your primary a little more often until they seat into each other.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
You have what is called fretting. There is metal to metal contact and the oil is not getting to the shaft. rbabos and others have cut grooves into the SE comp. I plan on doing the mod to my SE comp prior to the spring when it comes out of hibernation. Below is a pic of how to do it.

Dawg:

I am not a machinest, what is the best way to cut the grooves? Or should I take it to a machinest to have the grooves cut?

I have the SE compensator on the shelf ready to go, just waiting until Christmas break to pull the bike in the heated shop to work on.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drod
Don't get excited, it is simple. The three spokes of the gear are riding up and down the ramps of the compensator and there is some wear there. If you look at the three spokes of the gear you will see signs of wear. It should almost stop after the two parts seat in together. If you think about it,it is two pieces of metal rubbing together under a lot of pressure. Just change the oil in your primary a little more often until they seat into each other.
Makes sense, any other opinions??

I would hate to pull everything out again for no reason.

I WILL remove the ATF from the primary and replace with maybe 10/40 syntheic oil for better lubrication.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to worry to much about mine. Replaced the comp when I did the 49 tooth ring gear. That little bit of rust isn't going to hurt anything. New fluids every season anyway. There is a lot of metal there to have that rust through. Once they seat I am sure it is fine. I would think the mod that Dawg has up there would be nice if it is a fresh install but I am not going to tear it back down just to do that. I would have to have a better excuse I am thinking.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCripps
Dawg:

I am not a machinest, what is the best way to cut the grooves? Or should I take it to a machinest to have the grooves cut?

I have the SE compensator on the shelf ready to go, just waiting until Christmas break to pull the bike in the heated shop to work on.

Thanks.
The guys doing the mod are using a dremel and making radius cuts

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys doing the mod are using a dremel and making radius cuts
Dawg any demisnsions on these groove with the dremal?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have what is called fretting. There is metal to metal contact and the oil is not getting to the shaft. rbabos and others have cut grooves into the SE comp. I plan on doing the mod to my SE comp prior to the spring when it comes out of hibernation. Below is a pic of how to do it.

Dawg,
Hard to twll in the pic but looks like there is the half radius grooving on the mating surface and a groove cut in the shaft orifice is that what I am seeing? So the oile will come in through the radiused grooved and oil the slot cut to oil the shaft area?

Quick Reply: SE Compensator WOES