Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasses shaking behind windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM
07fxdb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasses shaking behind windscreen

Anyone else experience this? My eyeglasses vibrate at 65+ mph, behind fairing or windscreen of Touring and Dyna bikes. Without fairing or windscreen, no vibration, no problem. Usually ride with full-face, but have tried with 3/4, same result. Am wondering if vibrating air coming up from motor causes this. Maybe fork lowers would solve this, or just get a Softail with balanced motor.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know where the wind comes from it's just there. I moved to sealed goggles and discovered I can ride and plainly see without eye flutter. Also the dust and debris that are being driven into your eyeballs with just glasses on was giving me eye troubles. And I found using my daily reading glasses scarred them up ... they become as messed up as a buggy windshield. I have to use my glasses to read, but not ride.

Your able to get some very fine protective goggles with your prescription in them if your sight is that bad. Some goggles will fit over your glasses but I found them to press the glasses too hard against my face and nose.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A strap connected to the earpieces is a much cheaper fix than a new bike. Tighten it against the back of your head and you'll be good to go.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

fork lowers solved this problem on my road king they are priceless in my opinion !

Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Move your head up and down until it stops, Then I got windsheild at the height that was where my head was in position.

I also use the fork baffle and vented lowers

Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

can also be frame shape- I have progressive bifocals, so any shaking changes my focus- it's a bad thing.

in no windshield tests;

with no glasses I am good to about 40 mph, no tearing

with ray ban aviators, I get so much turbulence BEHIND the lens I tear up at 10 MPH, massive shaking of the glasses

ray ban wayfarers i am good to over 120 MPH

frame shape + face/head shape are a big part of it.

I am usually good on my bagger with stock and -2" windscreens with almost any glasses at all, although the 'superlight" wire frames move around too much.

I do have my glasses adjusted for a firm fit at the temples, don't want to loose a pair when checking over my shoulder!

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-13-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a lot of that might just be the windshield height, or whether you have a fork air baffle or wings for the batwing fairing. there are many variables that you didn't go into detail with what mods and which model bike. two words, be specific.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM
eleft
Tourer

Originally Posted by ks6c
It works for me too.

Al

Attached Thumbnails Glasses shaking behind windscreen-img_0669-medium-.jpg   Glasses shaking behind windscreen-img_0670-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I second what LATNYTE said, those ugly fork air deflectors do work. It's almost like driving a convertible car with your helmet on. She's ugly, but she sure can cook!

Quick Reply: Glasses shaking behind windscreen