Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch? Who needs a stinkin' clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch? Who needs a stinkin' clutch?

I don't know whether or not it's a problem but since I installed the PC-V sometimes the bike will not start unless I pull in the clutch...Yes, the bike is in neutral
Has anyone experienced this? It's happened 5 times in 2 months. Seems to happen when I start it for the first time for the day (cool/cold). I figured I'd ask here before asking Jamie at Fuel Moto (thats where I got it). I know he's super busy & didn't feel the need to bother him if it's just something that can be figured out "here".

Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,337 Likes on 22,637 Posts

Hmmmm, interesting... Don't know what to make of that, and never heard of it before.
I always start mine in gear as I do not like to hear the "clunk".
I always thought that it was easier on it to not to shift it into gear on start up. JMO.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Saying the bike won't start takes on several meanings:

Starter turning / not turning? Engine trying to start / Engine not firing at all?

Does the bike turn over with the clutch lever out? (clutch engaged)

Or does the starter only turn over when the clutch lever is pulled in? (clutch disengaged)

Wasn't there a safety switch put on the clutch where it is supposed to always be disengaged (lever pulled in) in order for the starter to turn over?

Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Saying the bike won't start takes on several meanings:

Starter turning / not turning? Engine trying to start / Engine not firing at all?

Does the bike turn over with the clutch lever out? (clutch engaged)

Or does the starter only turn over when the clutch lever is pulled in? (clutch disengaged)

Wasn't there a safety switch put on the clutch where it is supposed to always be disengaged (lever pulled in) in order for the starter to turn over?
Sorry should've been clearer.

Bike is in neutral, either on the jack or kickstand (it's happened in both positions), I turn on the ignition & the fuel pump & lights all activate as normal then I hit the start button & nothing...no cranking, no dimming of the lights (everything stays on like it's still waiting for input from me) no sound...nothing happens. It's like I have the run switch in the off position but it's on. Then I pull in the clutch in & hit the start button & it starts up as usual. Then to check to see if I really am that stupid (I really am), I shut the bike via the ignition then try starting it without pulling in the clutch & it starts right up! Friggin weird

Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Next time it happens, look to see if the neutral light is on before you hit the start button. It may be that the transmission is in neutral but the neutral switch is slightly out of adjustment and not made or that the neutral switch is intermittent.

If the switch is not made the bike will not start. If you then pull in the clutch the circuit bypasses the neutral switch. If the switch is just barely out of adjustment, starting the bike is probably enought to jar it or if the switch is failing it just worked the next time you tried.

In either case the problem is with the neutral switch.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Green Neutral light is lit. That's why I found it to be weird. I do understand what you're saying though.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Next time you try to start it in neutral & fail, before you pull the clutch lever rap on the clutch perch while holding the starter button. That's where the switch that allows you to start in gear is located. Sounds like that switch is failing.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:42 PM
thecort
Road Captain

That's a great idea thanks for the input. I'll definitely give it a try.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't some models have a kickstand safety?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Was the neutral light on while it failed to start?

Quick Reply: Clutch? Who needs a stinkin' clutch?