Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
I agree with you...BUT; If you put the JW on your Harley you will VOID the warranty!! Just ask your parts guy.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying...

If you put the JW headlight, purchased from other than a dealer, on your Harley - the JW warranty on the headlight is in full force.

Are you suggesting the warranty on your bike is voided - cause that just ain't so...

I'm confused - but that's easy sometimes... appreciate if you could try to clear it up in my head...

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bogiediver
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying...

If you put the JW headlight, purchased from other than a dealer, on your Harley - the JW warranty on the headlight is in full force.

Are you suggesting the warranty on your bike is voided - cause that just ain't so...

I'm confused - but that's easy sometimes... appreciate if you could try to clear it up in my head...
If you put non Harley parts on your Harley you void the warranty. Ask your parts/service guys.....

Seriously you've never heard this joke/truth before?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Talking

Awww......

Sorry - along with being easily confused sometimes, I can also be a bit slow...

You're right - they will sometimes (often...) tell us that... but, like I said, it just ain't so...

Appreciate your giving me the kick in the pants...

Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
617south
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job guys thanks taking the time in doing that.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RabbitsHell
Yea looks like the attachment did not attach. here is a link to the PDF.
http://greys.homedns.org/

If this link is not availabe you can try http://********/wevqu
What a great write up. Thank you for the time and effort

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job guys, thanks for making my choice easier. Got to get me one of those (JW/HD) for my bike and the wife's.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. Was much better then any magazine side by side comparison

Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Custom Dymanics....Got to be the BEST

Good day, guys.

If you are looking for a 1st class product, great customer service and the best of prices - PLEASE do yourselves a favour and follow my experience - USE CUSTOM DYNAMICS.

They will NOT let you be disappointed, believe me that will make any situation RIGHT.

Cheers

Ride In Peace

Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Read thru the thread again... just wanted to summarize...

The Kuryakyn and Custom Dynamics 7" LED headlights are made by Truck-Lite and are a plug-n-play fit.

Truck-Lite has updated their headlight, which addressed the concerns presented in the review Travis & I did. They call the new one the 'Phase 6' - with revised optics and now having 6 of the 10 LEDs energized on low beam (versus 5 before). The lens is still polycarbonate (versus glass for the JW/HD headlight. The JW/HD passing lamp lens is polycarbonate)

Truck-Lite is also making LED Passing Lamp replacements that are a plug-n-play fit for HD – available now thru Kuryakyn.

Travis & I are doing an updated review to compare the updated TL HL and their PL against the JW/HD HL & PL - watch for a new thread sometime next week (shooting for 2/23/11). We'll title it "UPDATE - LED Head Light Comparison JW/HD & TL" to make it easier to find.

The JW/HD HL & PL are now being offered either with a chrome or black interior.

JW/HD is offering a 5-3/4" LED headlight - but it won't fit the Road Glide. The JW/HD 7" won't fit bikes with nacelles and requires a new mounting bucket for use in batwing fairings.

While I agree an E-Code lens with the 70/65 Osram H4 bulb is better than stock (I had the Cibie lens with the 70/65 H4 bulb from Daniel Stern Lighting) - wait 'til you see the pictures in the updated review - we had the halogen out on the street with us this time... LED is BY FAR better…

While I haven’t compared HID – my biggest concern is most HID available for bikes is a conversion… gives the ballasts, wires and bulbs. But the bulbs are an ‘arc’ light source, and putting those into a lens/reflector designed for ‘filament’ source – I question the effectiveness (arc & filament bulbs each present the light on a different axis); not to mention not being DOT approved. Also, most HID are a single bulb – means either you don’t have high beam; or high beam is accomplished by moving the bulb to use a different part of the lens/reflector (even more questionable, unless on the much more expensive high end product); or high beam is accomplished with a paired halogen bulb (and the advantage??). While they may be better lighting than halogen, not being legal or specifically designed for bikes…... It appears even HD is no longer offering their HID headlight unit (which was designed for bikes and DOT approved) – which was priced at the same as the LED headlight, used halogen for high beam, with replacement ‘burners’ (bulbs) costing $195…

Watch for the new thread…

In case anyone is wondering - neither Travis nor I work for any of the companies or distributors mentioned. We are simply riders who enjoy sharing knowledge about new products - especially ones that make us safer.

Respectfully,

-bogie

Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM
BcDog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome review guys, very thorough.

Quick Reply: LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL