Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
RabbitsHell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mounting ring assembly comes with the HD LED. If you get the JW, depending on where you purchase it from, it may come with it. You would have to ask the seller if it does or not, either way you need the mounting ring assembly for it to fit correctly. The HD dual bulb halogen headlight uses the same mounting ring assembly.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I have a question if anyone knows. Looking at the pictures in the PDF file, I'm wondering if it would be possible to dremel the stock mounting ring to allow the LED headlight to fit? The main reason I see for the different mounting ring is because of the larger diameter of the back side of the LED headlight. Assuming all other mounting dimension / locations are the same, it looks like it "might" work?

Anyone who's actually laid eyes on this setup, do you think this is a possibility?

Thanks & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 PM
bikehe
Tourer

Thankyou Sir for going to the trouble of posting this review. Very informative and has helped me decide which one to purchase when they become available down our way. Those pictures are so clear

Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
RabbitsHell
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
I have a question if anyone knows. Looking at the pictures in the PDF file, I'm wondering if it would be possible to dremel the stock mounting ring to allow the LED headlight to fit? The main reason I see for the different mounting ring is because of the larger diameter of the back side of the LED headlight. Assuming all other mounting dimension / locations are the same, it looks like it "might" work?

Anyone who's actually laid eyes on this setup, do you think this is a possibility?
I was thinking of doing just that when I received the JW and comparing the stock headlight to the JW. I beleive it can be done if you take the time and have the right tools. For me comparing the time and energy to do that, I left it would be easier to just pay $50 for the part.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
jpglide
Cruiser

+1!! Thanks guys! Really appreciate the in-depth review - helpful for those of us looking to upgrade...

[quote=Astro;7640716]That was awesome guys!
Just what a lot of people around here have been looking for. Thanks for taking the time to do a real world comparison and write up.
I really like the output of the JW/HD unit.
Maybe Santa will read this.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM
airbike
Advanced

Anyone know where to get the best price on the dark JW Speaker Light? I tried Googling and didn't find much. Do the side LED's stay on high and low beam? Trying to justify not having to add passing lamps. With passing lamps wired to work with high & low beam, when either high or low beam burnt out I wasn't left in darkness trying to find the switch and was thankful I had them.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by airbike; 12-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the lower draw of the leds, doing the low beam high beam mod would really be the stuff! Common mod on V-Rods with HID's so that the low stays on all the time so you have light while the high heats up. But it makes a huge difference on the Halogens too, did that before doing the HID mod on mine. Now if they would only come out with one for a Road Glide!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by airbike
Do the side LED's stay on high and low beam? Trying to justify not having to add passing lamps.
The "D shaped lenses" on the headlamp are always on when the headlamp is on. They work OK, but are no substitute for the passing lamps. Doing the mod to always have both on makes these really shine (no pun intended), except in the few states that require the passing lamps to turn off with the high beam (and their laws may have an issue with the D lenses always being on, too...).

Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to do this review.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome job, but still undecided between the two.

Quick Reply: LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL