Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ Twinrider-

You are right - when in the line of fire, the JW/HD is very white and noticeable... the difference we noted in the review was when off at an angle (like a vehicle sitting at an intersection 90* from you) the noticeability drops off significantly for the JW/HD. The TL much less so.

If you look at the light patterns on the wall in the review - the 'smilie' shape of the JW/HD vs the rectangle shape of the TL hints at why.

@ Intrepid175 -

I, too, am looking forward to it... I've heard bits & pieces and have seen a couple of pictures. I really can't share just yet - but hope to soon.

Hope everyone has a great 2012 with lots of safe miles and smiles.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One tip I picked up from a motorcycle safety course was to "dip" your bike towards a car sitting at a stop sign. This will at least momentarily put your headlight in his wheelhouse. I also use the Kris LED headlight modulator to attract more attention to myself.

I have the HD LED headlight but I would be interested in the Trucklite if it has major difference to be seen from the sides, as long as it would compare to the JW Speaker at night.

Last edited by smithbrl; 01-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser

I had a chance to get more info on the 'Phase 7' headlight...

I think it will be very interesting in many respects.

First - it addresses many who commented on the appearance of the P6 - the P7 physical unit looks more like traditional halogen lighting units, as far as the lens and reflector - yep, reflector. The LED is mounted to be rear projection into a complex reflector. There is one LED each for low & high - new technology obviously.

There has even been an update since the SEMA show - at SEMA, low beam and high beam had different LEDs, with high beam being a lower output. That's been updated, using the same higher output LED for both. The reflector was also updated to handle the higher output.

As with the P6 - high beam is added to low beam (as opposed to HD, where the low beam is switched off when high beam is selected); so both LEDs will be activated. Yet, the current draw will be LESS than P6 in both modes - over 25% less on low beam and 20% less on high.

Wish I could say I've actually seen this in my hand - so far just pictures.

Stay tuned, as I get more info I'll share. I hope to do a full review very soon.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
RKDan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED lighting

Can I get that PDF from you?

Thx, Dan

Originally Posted by RabbitsHell
Yea looks like the attachment did not attach. here is a link to the PDF.
www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds.pdf

Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
RKDan
4th Gear
Default LED's

Hi, I'm very interested in getting an LED for my headlight (7" 2010 Road King) and am in the fact-finding stage. What is this LED you're referring to below? At this stage I understand there is the HD, the JM Speaker 8700 and the Trucklite. Thanks for any help you can give. ~Dan

Originally Posted by bogiediver
I had a chance to get more info on the 'Phase 7' headlight...

I think it will be very interesting in many respects.

First - it addresses many who commented on the appearance of the P6 - the P7 physical unit looks more like traditional halogen lighting units, as far as the lens and reflector - yep, reflector. The LED is mounted to be rear projection into a complex reflector. There is one LED each for low & high - new technology obviously.

There has even been an update since the SEMA show - at SEMA, low beam and high beam had different LEDs, with high beam being a lower output. That's been updated, using the same higher output LED for both. The reflector was also updated to handle the higher output.

As with the P6 - high beam is added to low beam (as opposed to HD, where the low beam is switched off when high beam is selected); so both LEDs will be activated. Yet, the current draw will be LESS than P6 in both modes - over 25% less on low beam and 20% less on high.

Wish I could say I've actually seen this in my hand - so far just pictures.

Stay tuned, as I get more info I'll share. I hope to do a full review very soon.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

Dan-

There are basically 3 LED 7" headlights (HL) and 4" passing lamp (PL) flavors:

1) The HD HL & PL are made by JW Speaker - these are the HD branded version of the JW 8700 (the HL) & 6045 (the PL)

2) The Truck-Lite (distributed by Kuryakyn & others) Phase 6 HL and PL

3) The just released Truck-Lite/Kury Phase 7 HL & PL - new technology...

Go to www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

There you will find the original review you requested from that link (which is still valid - HD Forums must be misinterpreting it for some reason) under 2010:

Truck-Lite / JW Speaker (aka HD) - LED Headlight Comparison

The updated review that started this thread is listed under 2011:

Truck-Lite / JW Speaker (aka HD) - Updated LED Headlight & Passing Lamp Comparison

Travis & I are currently working on the second update, reviewing the newest Truck-Lite version (the P7). We hope to have this posted by Wed...

Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
RKDan
4th Gear

Dan-

There are basically 3 LED 7" headlights (HL) and 4" passing lamp (PL) flavors:

1) The HD HL & PL are made by JW Speaker - these are the HD branded version of the JW 8700 (the HL) & 6045 (the PL)

2) The Truck-Lite (distributed by Kuryakyn & others) Phase 6 HL and PL

3) The just released Truck-Lite/Kury Phase 7 HL & PL - new technology...

Go to www.bogiesreviews.webs.com

There you will find the original review you requested from that link (which is still valid - HD Forums must be misinterpreting it for some reason) under 2010:

Truck-Lite / JW Speaker (aka HD) - LED Headlight Comparison

The updated review that started this thread is listed under 2011:

Truck-Lite / JW Speaker (aka HD) - Updated LED Headlight & Passing Lamp Comparison

Travis & I are currently working on the second update, reviewing the newest Truck-Lite version (the P7). We hope to have this posted by Wed...

Hope this helps.
This is great! Thanks...I'm looking at it now.
~Dan

Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser

And I apologize to everyone - my real job got in the way - I'm working on the P7 review now... very soon ...

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Let's boogie, Bogie, bring it on!
People waiting...
Kidding, just had to do that... ;>}

Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

And I apologize to everyone - my real job got in the way - I'm working on the P7 review now... very soon ...
I am going to install my P7 tomorrow, but I am still looking forward to your review so I know I made the right choice.

Quick Reply: LED Head Light Comparision JW & TL