Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS advice needed. What is difference between Garmin 660 & HD 660

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GPS advice needed. What is difference between Garmin 660 & HD 660

I know they are basically the same unit, but are there differences between the units? I know the HD unit has all the dealers loaded as an app, but anyone can do that easily. Can save about $100 by not getting the "Road Tech" HD unit, but concerned there may be other issues I'm not aware of, such as wiring the unit.

Anyone have any knowledge of this? I'm done a search and did not find anything.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Where did you find the HD app download? I cant load crap into my 550, maybe because Im using a Mac. I thought the only difference was the color and the dealer locations, maybe the hotels and such are more biker friendly? Ill be watching this thread for hopefully some good info.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the H-D version would play through your speakers and the other one would not. I remember hearing that somewhere.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would suggest you check www.zumoforums.com. But a quick scan seemed to indicate the hardware is the same between the 2, but software is different. And that might be why the Roadtech Navigation Module Interface doesn't work with a Zumo (if in fact it doesn't). Also, there are files to load the HD Dealers onto a Zumo as well as instructions (find POI's). A good site to check out if you are thinking GPS.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagman1
Where did you find the HD app download? I cant load crap into my 550, maybe because Im using a Mac.
Wrong-O.

I have an older Garmin (330) and a Mac (several in fact) and it works great with all Macs. I use "Garmin POI Loader"
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
to install Points of Interest, including all the HD dealers in North America. If you need the csv file with the HD dealers let me know and I'll post a link to it off of my server.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the major differences are price, color, HD POIs, and ,if I'm not mistaken, the HD doesn't come with the car mount.

BTW, I put all the dealers in my old 550.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
Wrong-O.

I have an older Garmin (330) and a Mac (several in fact) and it works great with all Macs. I use "Garmin POI Loader"
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
to install Points of Interest, including all the HD dealers in North America. If you need the csv file with the HD dealers let me know and I'll post a link to it off of my server.

Mac user here too and as mentioned, it works great with the Mac version of the POI Loader.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMorr99
I thought the H-D version would play through your speakers and the other one would not. I remember hearing that somewhere.
WRONG!

I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and love it! The only differences I am aware of is the wallpaper when you first turn it on which I changed just like Harley did and it has Harley dealers in a special points of interest file, which I downloaded free and have anyway. I've got a 2009 Ultra Classic and It DOES COME OUT THE SPEAKERS or the headset if I want! When I use the Garmin I typically have downloaded a back road route from the P.C.'s Garmin MapSource program, I have 8GB MicroSD card in the Garmin so I listen to MP3's through the bikes speakers, the Garmin will override that to speak directions and the CB will override that if I want it to. Oh, and I also got the car mount free that you don't get with the HD unit. And I got a 20% discount ordering direct from Garmin with my American Motorcyle Association (AMA) membership so the price difference was several hundred if I recall... more than paid for my membership!

Last edited by Gumby256; 12-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Frozenfingers
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a thread here somplace about the Harley Integration Device (HID). From what I recall, the garmins will not work with HID, only roadtech.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:17 AM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gumby, are you using the Harley Nav Interface module where the directions will break in over anything that is playing, or are you using the AUX input where the radio would have to be set to AUX and all you can do is play the MP3's off the unit to have the directions be audible?

Quick Reply: GPS advice needed. What is difference between Garmin 660 & HD 660