Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Shields

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

first, to answer the original question, when i bought the bike, it had that toenail of a windscreen (6") that was totally worthless. couldn't even hear the radio above 35 mph. first thing i did was to replace it with the 12" hd windsplitter. now, i like this shield, but think that it would be better suited for warmer weather. am thinking that i would like a different one to use in the winter. the windsplitter has kind of a 'stepped' shape to it, taller in the middle than on the sides, so while face protection is not terrible (for a short feller like me), don't get a lot of hand protection.

Originally Posted by Lama
It's too bad someone doesn't have access to a wind tunnel to help create the definative windshield for RG's that actually worked based on windflow at speed.
with the myriad of different seats, and body types/sizes, i don't think there could be a definitive windshield. what may work great for you, might suck *** for me.

Originally Posted by BigBen
I have a +2" Clearview, and need another inch at least.

However, the taller shields put more strain on the screws holding in the shield. I had to change out to bigger screws as my shield became loose after 60,000 miles.
when i was reading your post, i was expecting you to say something like, 6 weeks, 600 miles, etc. but 60,000 miles before your screws got loose? doesn't seem too bad to me.

Last edited by skratch; 12-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I bought the HD Tall Windshield for my RG. It pretty much solved the buffeting issue. I do a lot of 1000-4000 mi trips and at hiway speeds 70-80 mph life is good. I also have a Mustang touring seat and am 6' tall. Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, why do something stupid like taking an actual scientific approach to making an airfoil wind deflector? I mean, heck, lets just keep guessing and doing what "looks appropriate".

Seat and body height are variables that can be adapted to once the required wind flow study has been validated.

I am pretty sure everyone would be quite surprised as to what the final shape of an optimal windscreen would appear as after this research. I bet it would be quite different than what conventional theory dictates. Heck, who would have thought the simple $30 clip on lower deflectors would have made the difference that they do.

Too bad windtunnel time costs $$$$, but it is most likely the only way a fully effective unit could be developed. It sure would reduce the multitude of failed windscreen collections that exist in RG owners garages.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Don't forget that Klockwerks Windshields were designed in a wind tunnel.

lp

Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 PM
DeadBirdDog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep an 8" on my RG for everything except long distance touring (>500 miles in a day) and for the winter. I have the stock tall windshield for that. At 5'9" I hate it because the top cuts right into my view and is very distracting, especially on hilly roads. I need something about 2" taller.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Biggun-fxr
Advanced

I have the 16" klockwerks and at 6'4" I can see well over it. I get a little wind at the top of my helmet and would love to try a klockwerks sytle 18". I have the lower style ultra seat.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I have the stock shield and seat. I'm 6'1".

I don't want the shield any higher because I like being able to see over it and I can just barely do that now. However, I would like it designed to lift the air over me a little more. It isn't terrible now, but it would be nice if it lifted the air a little more.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'5" and I decided to go with a KlockWerks 16" tinted flare, it works very well for me.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

I put an aftermarket tall windshield on mine, then cut it to a height that I can just see over when sitting normally. Haven't measured it, but it is several inches taller than the stock shield. I tried one of the short "wind deflectors" on the bike, looked cool but way too much wind blast at speed.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

I left the stock one on for about the first 30,000 miles, it was OK. I switched to the Clearview GT medium which is 1.5" taller than stock(I'm 6"1" and have a Corbin dual tour seat). It's about 1" taller than I would like it to be, I mean it works but sometimes it seems I'm looking thru the edge. Ah, trying to find that perfect shield, oh yea, I have about 40,000 on the bike now.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Shields