Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Default turn signals

I have a 2006 Ultra and I would like the turn signals to work only as such and not as running lights.Does any of you resourceful guys have any idea on how I can accomplish that.Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would you want less light in front? I'm a firm believer that more light is better than less from a safety point of view. I added running lights to my FLTRU for that very reason.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, it's what the guy wants. No, I don't know how. But I prefer mine on also.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is standard in the UK / Europe to have the option you are asking for. I would suggest you study the circuits in the workshop manual, I am sure you will find a note in there which will help you find the difference

I believe the manual is universal for all models / countries, but if not PM me and I will scan and send you the UK circuit

Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I want them on as running lights as well... but my right front running light went out, and only the turn signal worked on that side. I checked it out, and found that the connector nipple in the light socket for the running light somehow fell off or something - it just wasn't there any longer (huh?). Anyway, there are two connector nipples inside the light socket, one to power the running light filament in the bulb, and the other for the turn signal filament. My dealer fixed the socket under warranty, but my guess is, if you don't want to rewire anything or have the option of lighting them up again in the future, you could somehow block that running light nipple connector in the socket from making contact with the nipple connector on the bulb. Perhaps with black electrical tape over it or something. Just a thought :-)

Last edited by caberto; 12-08-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP didn't say if it was front or rear turn signals...

If you meant to say the rear, then your bike may have the turn signal stop/turn/run light module installed. Simple fix to use just turn signals is to remove that from under the seat.

If you were meaning the front signals, just unplug the wire at the connector(s). Your manual should have a schematic to point you to which wire(s) to remove from the connector.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the front signals have 3 wires going to them.

the BLUE wires are for the running lights- You could disconnect them in the fairing.

you could also try to determine which contact on the bulb is for the running lights, and file it down, perhaps a thin piece of plastic to isolate it from the contact in the socket

mk

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
Why would you want less light in front? I'm a firm believer that more light is better than less from a safety point of view. I added running lights to my FLTRU for that very reason.

I don't think that the front turn signals shed that much light.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CroK
The OP didn't say if it was front or rear turn signals...

If you meant to say the rear, then your bike may have the turn signal stop/turn/run light module installed. Simple fix to use just turn signals is to remove that from under the seat.

If you were meaning the front signals, just unplug the wire at the connector(s). Your manual should have a schematic to point you to which wire(s) to remove from the connector.
Yes,I meant both front and rear turn signals,but somebody told me that inaddition to the module removal I would also need to have an equalizer.is that correct?Thanks