Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal for rear tire to spin in nuetral while on lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Normal every vehicle with standard tranny will spin the rear or which ever wheel drives it.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by All Aces
I had not liked the way my bike has been shifting since new in July. I had adjusted the clutch at the primary several times going between 1/2 to a full turn. I had it running while on the lift this morning and noticed the rear tire was spinning pretty well so I checked to make sure it was not in gear and it wasn't. When I put my foot on the tire I could stop it but not without some resistance. I thought maybe that is why it shifts hard at times because the clutch was not completely disengageing. Before I went into it again I had to call the dealer in regards to an unrelated issue but I ran it by them. And they said it was ......... wait for it ..............Normal. It doesn't sound to me that you would have that much drag on the plates in N. Normal? anyone! Thanks
Exactly what is it about your shifting/clutch that you don't like?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I shift from 1st to 2nd especially, it doesn't seem to move much, It goes into gear but it feels like I'm stuffing it in, the linkage does not move as far as it normally does. Remember how you would think you had a sixth gear when you only had 5 and you would give it a tug only to put an imprint of the peg into the top of your foot. Well that's what it feels like from time to time, maybe once every 6-8 times. I thought it may be from the clutch.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Finnster1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDon81
If the tranny is cold its most likely from the viscosity of the oil as the main input shaft is still spinning, take the bike for a ride warm up the trans oil and see if it still happens shouldn't be as bad.
+1 This is the reason.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by All Aces
When I shift from 1st to 2nd especially, it doesn't seem to move much, It goes into gear but it feels like I'm stuffing it in, the linkage does not move as far as it normally does. Remember how you would think you had a sixth gear when you only had 5 and you would give it a tug only to put an imprint of the peg into the top of your foot. Well that's what it feels like from time to time, maybe once every 6-8 times. I thought it may be from the clutch.
Not my experience. Does it do this whether it's cold or hot?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine would do that with the dealer-adjusted clutch setting, it wasn't easy to get into 2nd gear in particular. I think the dealer trained adjustment is too loose on the freeplay, several of my friends have mentioned you squeeze the clutch a bunch of times, then pull the cable out from the lever. The metal end of the cable that seats in the lever perch should come out about 1/8". The dealer adjusted mine to at least twice that, on 2 different occasions. It was hard to find neutral and didn't shift that well. Adjusted it to the 1/8" freeplay and it was substantially better.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned that mine does the hard way. I was adding air to the rear tire, I plugged my compressor into the cigarette lighter and compressor didn't go on so I started my bike. I go back to the rear wheel and the hose end of the compressor that was attached to the valve is going up between the frame and tire and wedged in there with the compressor dangling in mid air. It all eventually worked out but I was nervous there for a minute.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

they all do that

Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

What you are experiencing is quite normal from my perspective. I used to have a Gold Wing that spun like that and I would swear that I had it in gear while on the stand. I would stop the spin with the brake and a few minutes later it was spinning again. Every bike I've ever owned does it (my new Ultra Classic included). I wouldn't be concerned unless it starts moving when the neutral light is on with the engine running. Never heard of that happening though.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
toolin90
Advanced

Normal

Quick Reply: Normal for rear tire to spin in nuetral while on lift?