Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flag Mounting Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Flag Mounting Options

I plan on attending a wreath laying ceremony this Saturday at our Veteran's National Cemetery and I would like to attach a flag to my bike for the ride. I have a Street Glide, so I don't have a tour pack or a luggage rack. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to SAFELY and SECURELY attach a flag to a bike that is void of any good mounting points? I have checked with the dealer already and they don't have anything, and I don't have time to order something, so I probably need some Home Depot style solutions!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

The dealer should have flags that mount by opening the saddle bag and puting on the lip. If they don't you can get the same type that mount to car windows at Wal Mart. If you use these, be sure to put masking tape on your bags at the contact point, they will scratch.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Use THIS as a guide and fabricate something like it from Home Depot findings

Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got the Rivco mount on the Ultra. Works great. Easy install. Easily removed when not needed (two pins removed and slide flag mount off) and leaves very little evidence of mounting hardware when you take it off. It is well made and good quality chrome. You can use it with one, two, or three flags.

Attached Thumbnails Flag Mounting Options-img_0040r.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
93+octane
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since becoming a PGR member I have also been wanting a flag mount. If I have the pillion on and passenger backrest with the luggage rack I could secure to that but the wife has yet to go on a PGR mission. As I not long ago started riding without pillion when solo with a Mustang fender bib I got to thinking somebody should come up with a flag pole that would screw into the rear fender where the pillion/bib secures. Bike just looks more sporty IMO with the bib. Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but if anyone has other ideas besides what has already been mentioned...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a piece of pvc with a bigger ID than your flag pole about 18 to 20" long.

Paint it gloss black to blend in, cap the bottom end and tye wrap to your back end.

My flhtcu had space between the side bag and fender and the saddlebag support was exposed so I cut a slit in the end of the pipe and let it straddle the support bracket, zip tied the top of the pipe to my tp docking point.

Also drilled through the pvc and flagpole and installed one pin to keep the flag from coming out.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronxbill
you can get the type that mount to car windows at Wal Mart. If you use these, be sure to put masking tape on your bags at the contact point, they will scratch.
Exactly correct ... About $5 bucks a piece at Wally World, probably 3 times that at the Harley shop.

You will have to massage it a bit to make it fit over the lip of the hard bag, but they do fit, and they do work. I used blue painter's tape to protect the bag and it worked like a dream.

I have also used chrome fishing pole holders from Wal-Mart and attached them to the side bag rails, but didn't like the look, so took 'em back off. On bikes with no tourpack, this option looks/works better.

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 12-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Test

Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Home Depot DIY for a big flag tested at hwy speed (short trips)

Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BDP,

I like it...
but the link takes me to some NAPA Facebook page..

Quick Reply: Flag Mounting Options