Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rental in Houston Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Rental in Houston Texas

Hello,

I'm in Houston for a course, and have snuck in a bike rental.
Renting a 103" Ultra Limited. I pick it up Friday. [6th] I fly back to winter on Monday. [I worked late Saturday... -30C on the truck thermometer].

Thinking Galveston and along the water toward Corpus Christi.

I've thought about checking out San Antonio, and Austin, but there is just so much to see. And not enough time...

I've never been to Texas, but looking forward to going for a rip.

It looks like you need wheels here in Houston to get around. I'm not needing to go anywhere during the week, but the course wraps up early on Friday, and I'll pick up my rental then.

Hints and suggestions welcome.

thanks

Harry

Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 AM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Harry. Welcome to the Republic of Texas! Weather has turned a little cool for us, but it will seem like a summer day to you...lol.

Depending on how much time you have, I'd recommend a trip to Galveston for a shorter run. Going on to Corpus from there is about another 5 hours. San Antonio from Houston is about 3 hours. You can't go wrong with any/all of those trips. Roads are good. Just watch the cagers...especially in Houston. Weather should be good all this week with temps around 70's.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Ride safe...

Last edited by houstonhdguy; 12-06-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If heading to San Antonio I would head out to New Braunfels.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Google the "three sisters Texas" or "twisted sisters Texas" starting in Leakey Texas.

If your wanting to stretch out from Houston for a couple of days, the three sisters are some of the best riding in Texas. Go through Bandera for a great ride to get to Leakey. You can also hit the river walk and the Alamo in San Antonio along the way. Lukenbach as well.

FYI - If you ride in Houston, motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM
mikesth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Google the "three sisters Texas" or "twisted sisters Texas" starting in Leakey Texas.

If your wanting to stretch out from Houston for a couple of days, the three sisters are some of the best riding in Texas. Go through Bandera for a great ride to get to Leakey. You can also hit the river walk and the Alamo in San Antonio along the way. Lukenbach as well.

FYI - If you ride in Houston, motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes.
I agree with the sisters, but you are going to be hard pressed for time - depends on how early you can pick up and when you have to turn it in. IF you can squeeze it, that is your best bet, - AWESOME roads - look at my Youtube links for an example. Stay at D'Rose if Deb can fit you in - Motorcycles only

Second is Galveston one day (kinda boring, flat, but good to get a flavor and good food) and the Huntsville/Brian College Station area for day 2 - Check out Yankees Tavern and RR 3090 specifically.

You should have great weather - enjoy!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM
HFS
Club Member

Thanks for all the hints and tips.

I've got the bike lined up for Friday afternoon, so I'll go for a little jaunt Friday, stay back at the hotel from all week.

Then I suppose I'll check out Victoria to Corpus Christi. Stay over somewhere down there, and head along the coast, hoping for the best weather Sunday. Maybe pull in to Galveston Sunday night.

No real requirement to go that direction, just looked into the San Antonio trip and Austin, but not really a ton of time.

If I wail to Galveston Friday night, sure. But I can sneak the room here paid by the company...

Besides, I brought too much crap with me [typical] so I might have to deep six some of it.

Why did I bring two laptops??

Anyhow, we'll see what the road brings right? I have a trip in my head and it is hopefully near the coast a lot.

Strange but I feel like I'm cheating on "Christine" [my ride, back home].

As well I -could- ride 8 hours both days, which is cool, but then I wouldn't stop and see the sites. Lastly I'm gonna be on an Ultra Limited, so we'll see if I have any desire for lowers...

I like more speakers.

H

Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
YoungBuckBagger
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy the ride my friend!!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM
HFS
Club Member

UPDATE - so apparently Galveston sorta sucks. Well the water n beach anyhow. Crap. Well I'll look into San Antonio and Austin area I guess. Maybe go to the Shiner Brewery. Mmmmmm beer.

During this corse I've drank a few shiner beerz, good good stuff.

Lotsa options still.

Re-thinking Hill country...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
6023zub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you wind up renting the bike? Some of the rental places in Houston are not open on Monday for pickup. I don't know about drop-off. I have a relative that comes to town from time to time and usually has to leave on Mondays is the reason I ask. Oh and yeah, welcome to Texas.

Buz

Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
HFS
Club Member
Default Update

Hello,

Rented the bike @ Republic HD in Stafford.

They aren't open Sunday, so I guess I have to return it Monday, and go from there...

I took the Ultra Limited for a ride 1 hour south, and back to the hotel I've been at all week.

The 103 didn't really impress me that much. Maybe I've gotten too used to the cams and tune on my bike. Apparently it is BONE stock from the factory. I was hoping to see if it'd be better on a 103, but I'm ditching the HD engine upgrades and gonna shoot for a 107" or 117".

The colour is ... bad. I'm sorry if it is your selection, but white top, and bluish, purple on the bottom... It's officially a geezer glide. It'd be fine black... But I rented it to ride it, not to look at it.

The lowers are new for me, so we'll see how I like them. I always need somewhere to spend $800 on my bike... I'd get detachable lowers though.

Tomorrow the Alamo!!

Prolly stay over in Austin, I hear it has some night life. Houston traffic is rather nutty. So Shank that!!

Might stay in the hills. It's up in the air ---still.

Supertime. SaltGrass, one last time.

Later
Harry

Quick Reply: Rental in Houston Texas