Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?

I know you can't tune a bike as well as a dyno with the smart tune feature of the new race tuner or with the autotune the PC's now have but it sounds like you can get pretty darn close. With the advancements the fuel management systems have made recently, do you think that dyno tuning will be a thing of the past for the average motorcyclist and only be used in race applications in the near future?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 PM
jbmunnoch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new EFI systems that are on the market do a great job adjusting AFR but as far as timing is concerned I don't think there is a substitute for a dyno. Timing on a bike with stock heads and near stock compression should not be difficult as there are maps that have already established a good balance of power without detonation. Once compression has been bumped up substantially or more efficient combustion chambers have been introduced it will be necessary to see power gains and watch knock counts to ensure you are in the right ballpark.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I think so, eventually. The autotune devices are just going to keep getting better, and adjust to the conditions as you ride.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anymore thoughts on this?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it will be "about to be a thing of the past". The average person can make some easy adjustments but the reality is that the dyno tuner is a professional that understands the science behind getting an engine to run properly. Sure some day the computer systems may be advanced enough to figure it all out - but until it can adapt on the fly, I don't see the professional going away for the manual adjustments.

Remember, VE tuning is only a single aspect of the tuning. There are other factors such as spark adjustment, decel enleanment etc. The average Joe is just pushing buttons, hoping to get it right with the tuning devices at this point.

I'm not knocking any of the devices out on the market because they have come a long way. I'm just saying it's still going to be around for a while.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 465 Likes on 275 Posts

Even if it was running perfectly, there are many like me who would still want to know what we've got and it would take a dyno run to show that...and show what difference mods make

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I think a dyno tune is only as good as the person operating it. How tight the straps are, how each operator controls the bike, etc. It all can vary from dyno cell to dyno cell.

I personally think that the dyno is for the guy who wants the most horsepower for his ride. The remainder of the programmers get pretty close, IMO....

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally think dyno is going to be less and less for the average rider. As the technology gets more advanced and easier to understand. People are just going to plug and go. Especially in times like these. Take The sepst for example. You have to spend $400 for the tuner, then drop another $300 for the dyno? Then if you change something, you need to re dyno? That adds up. I had a chip in my last 3 trucks and all were plug and play. I had 3 tunes stored for what style I wanted. I think you will see more of this in the bike world as well. JMO

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM
slammd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be very possible to have an ECM system that monitors, controls all elements in real time and make adjustments on-the-fly based on current operating conditions (I think it would involve a lot of sensors though). I posted a question earlier regarding the "auto tune" systems available today in an attempt to better understand what their capabilities are as well as their limitations.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Even if it was running perfectly, there are many like me who would still want to know what we've got and it would take a dyno run to show that...and show what difference mods make
He asked about a dyno TUNE.. A lot different than a dyno RUN just to get numbers.You are right, the dyno RUN will still be needed to see your numbers.

Mark

Quick Reply: Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?