Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I think you make good points and I should've been more lucid with my remarks. Sometimes I'll post, then read it again later that day or the next and wince, and this is one of those occasions. I don't suggest that "thrashing the motor" is sound reasoning for avoiding a dyno-tune if needed, but I just don't like the idea of doing it if it isn't necessary. To perform a thorough dyno-tune the bike may need to hit the redline numerous times, and I don't redline my bike more than about once every couple of years. I don't need to since the power I need is available below that point. Few bikes will crater during a dyno-tune, and I personally have never heard of such an incident first-hand, so that isn't my concern. I also realize like most here that competent human tuners are not around every corner, and that is a concern for me as well. I simply am not confident that I could get a good, thorough tune in my location--and that's part of my decision to learn and tweak on my own. I do think what I've done was the right thing for my needs, and I would do it again.

You are correct that most of the bike-buying public out there isn't interested in tweaking like some of us are, and simply want to take it somewhere, get a tune, and ride. Many don't even know what tuner is installed, and that's okay for them.

I believe dyno-tunes won't go the path of the dodo for many years to come, perhaps never--but I do think today the "average biker" in the OP's initial question has options today that don't require a dyno-tune, even for those who are not tweakers. As time progresses there will be more options along those lines as tuners become more adaptable and sophisticated.

I can understand about re-reading a previous post and having regrets. I also understand how alot of area don't have good tuners around so I can understand the demand for autotune. I've read quit a few of your posts, when you decided to get into tuning you went full fledge, that is highly recommendable as it is evident that you have learned and taught yourself a ton about FI. But you have to understand that you don't represent the average autotune user. The average user isn't going to spend the amount of time researching and tuning their bike. Heck, I've had people install their autotune and think it was working fine and doing it's job when they never even had it turned on. The only criticism I have with autotune is that if they have the trim levels set to high, it can actually tune out a problem that the owner never even new he had. I.E. when something starts going wrong (let's use intake seals as an example) you will start to notice running issues with your bike, if you have autotune it'll just throw more fuel at it to make up for the extra air, you might never know your seals were going bad.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

So we're now approaching the end of December and no word on the release on the new PowerVision Tuner? Is there any issue?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
So we're now approaching the end of December and no word on the release on the new PowerVision Tuner? Is there any issue?
No issues with the product, just the typical last minute things like packaging, serializing, etc..

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out this tuner...

http://revperf.com/

Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
So, where did you get this "fantastic dyno tune"?????
Just saw this since it floated back to the top. I got mine at Doc's Performance Tuning in Mineola, FL (next to Clermont). Google search and you will find it.