Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original question was "do you think that dyno tuning will be a thing of the past for the average motorcyclist?" There will always be a market for dyno tuning. I just think it wont be automatic like it is now. Whenever people do mods it automatically suggested to have a dyno tune done. I believe there will be less of that in the future. Or at least maybe more competitive pricing. Its is going to be hard to convince the average rider to keep dropping $300 for tuning when they can buy tuners that will get them close enough for a one time payment. You will always have people who will want the dyno done, and there is no arguing that dyno is the best way to get the most out of your tuner, but at what cost to the average rider?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
The original question was "do you think that dyno tuning will be a thing of the past for the average motorcyclist?" There will always be a market for dyno tuning. I just think it wont be automatic like it is now. Whenever people do mods it automatically suggested to have a dyno tune done. I believe there will be less of that in the future. Or at least maybe more competitive pricing. Its is going to be hard to convince the average rider to keep dropping $300 for tuning when they can buy tuners that will get them close enough for a one time payment. You will always have people who will want the dyno done, and there is no arguing that dyno is the best way to get the most out of your tuner, but at what cost to the average rider?
This is not directed only to you but since you highlighted average, do you think that most of the posters in this forum are average? Is this place a good place to get a feel for what the real world market for dyno tuning is? Or do think on a whole, people here are willing to spend more than the average guy?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

While Fuel Moto dyno tunes hundred's of bikes every year, our maps and support extend far beyond what we actually tune in-house when we provide customers with tuning hardware, maps and tuning support. Any new products that allow Fuel Moto to extend our services and offer a greater level of support will be great in my book

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
While Fuel Moto dyno tunes hundred's of bikes every year, our maps and support extend far beyond what we actually tune in-house when we provide customers with tuning hardware, maps and tuning support. Any new products that allow Fuel Moto to extend our services and offer a greater level of support will be great in my book
My book too, since you're too far away to tune my bike in person!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
This is not directed only to you but since you highlighted average, do you think that most of the posters in this forum are average? Is this place a good place to get a feel for what the real world market for dyno tuning is? Or do think on a whole, people here are willing to spend more than the average guy?
Thats a good question. I guess it depends on where you draw the line with the term average. Most of us here wants to mod their bike to some degree. Not everyone wants to tear the motor down, shave heads, bore cylinders and slap on nitrous kits. Those people I would think would be spending the money to dyno all day long. But like I said earlier when the technology starts to get easier for most of us to understand and use, plug and play tuners will be the standard choice. You start seeing some of the tuners with the same numbers (or at least pretty damn close) that dyno tuned bikes have it's hard to justify spending the extra money to run the bike on the dyno. I think we have a good mix of people here that you can compare it to real world market

Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

It's funny how we'll pay someone to inspect, comprehend, and react to a reading provided by a dyno run. It's magic some think; however, the whole process could be replaced with a somewhat simplistic algorithm and the right sensors. The technology is already here. Has been for the most part. Nice to see some attempts already out there though.

If Harley decides to use this already available technology is the real question. To date...it's been a big No.

lp

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Agreed, No one is suggesting that there won't be uses for a bike Dyno. Clearly some will pay a modest amount in the future for a dyno "pull" even with a well-tuned bike to get a performance measurement. And I'm sure that a good bike shop will find a use for their dyno in troubleshooting or confirming an upgrade to a bike, particularly in bad weather seasons.

The real point being that the days of hitting up consumers for $500 for dyno time to tune their bike in addition to paying $300-400 for tuning software could be quickly coming to an end. The proof will be when the second user-friendly interface tuner to PowerVision comes on the market. That will be a sure sign that there's a profitable interest in displacing dyno-tunes for a sizeable portion of the consumer HD engine upgrade market.
We get $250 for a full tune at our shop, no matter how long it takes. The PowerVision sounds like it's going to be a fine unit, and I plan on adding getting one as soon as they come out to play with myself. But I bet if you called DynoJet and told them that you were getting the vision with autotune they would still recommend you get a dyno tune. I know alot of the people we deal with in our shop don't really care to learn about tuning, Afr'S, timing, etc. They just want to ride. but then again, the do it yourselfers don't bring their bikes to us to work on, but I can't imagine the autotuners are going to hurt our shop a whole lot. Sure there is a market for them and they will definately become more user friendly. But I also think there will be a market for dyno tuning as well, at least in our area.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
We get $250 for a full tune at our shop, no matter how long it takes. The PowerVision sounds like it's going to be a fine unit, and I plan on adding getting one as soon as they come out to play with myself. But I bet if you called DynoJet and told them that you were getting the vision with autotune they would still recommend you get a dyno tune. I know alot of the people we deal with in our shop don't really care to learn about tuning, Afr'S, timing, etc. They just want to ride. but then again, the do it yourselfers don't bring their bikes to us to work on, but I can't imagine the autotuners are going to hurt our shop a whole lot. Sure there is a market for them and they will definately become more user friendly. But I also think there will be a market for dyno tuning as well, at least in our area.
I agree. The PowerVision will be a nice tool with a simpler user-interface than anything else on the market, however the reality is that it is still limited to V/E auto-tuning in the closed-loop range with the stock O2 sensors. So a dyno tune will still be needed.....for now (unless the base map you start with is an exact match for your engine build). My guess is that the PV will be a tuning platform that can be upgraded over the internet with the potential for future tuning capabilities that in the long will replace the need for a dyno-tune on the vast majority of bikes.

I wish your shop was located in the NE. Tunes in my area run $300-500 depending on the software being used.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing a winter mod on mine and have the PC-V for tuning. I know that to get better performance, I need to make changes to the engine to get what I need. I have yet to wrench on my own machine, and I'm a novice at understanding all that perhasps I shoud know. I went with SE stage 1 and V&H big rads on my old dyna and it took 3 dyno tunes to dial it in so I would not get back fires all the time. That was 3 years ago. I learned a lesson from that. I will never use HD for my work again when it comes to tuning. I live 100 miles from Las Vegas DynaJet and when I finish my build this winter, it will go to them for finishing touches. At that time, and after the best tune is done, I may add the autotune module if it makes the fuel adjustments on the fly taking in all the ambient information. When I go touring, and need to cross the rockies or sink to death valley, I want the fuel mixtures optimized for those condtions. I have 30 grand in to my bike now,which is 1/2 the price of a L6 vette. I damn sure exepect performance when I'm done, not for race, just reliable dependable HP and torque when called upon at the throttle.

Dynos will be around for a long time. They are not the same as autotune.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I agree. The PowerVision will be a nice tool with a simpler user-interface than anything else on the market, however the reality is that it is still limited to V/E auto-tuning in the closed-loop range with the stock O2 sensors. So a dyno tune will still be needed.....for now (unless the base map you start with is an exact match for your engine build). My guess is that the PV will be a tuning platform that can be upgraded over the internet with the potential for future tuning capabilities that in the long will replace the need for a dyno-tune on the vast majority of bikes.

I wish your shop was located in the NE. Tunes in my area run $300-500 depending on the software being used.
I think I read where the Vision has the ability to run either the stock o2 sensors or wide band ones. We have, leterally, a few thousand custom MAPS in our archives, I have yet to see identical builds take the same MAP, sure they are close but they need some tweaking. Canned MAPS are "safe" versions of close MAPS ifthat makes any sence. The SERT, SEST, TTS, PC MAPS have all been dyno tuned, to a specific application then tweaked to make them safe for matching builds then offered. I would imagine that FuelMotos "cutom tuned" MAPS are the same deal. We could do the same thing, put together a package on one of our shop bikes, tune it then sell the package with a TTS and supply the MAP. It's good marketing Our shop is pretty old school though, our owner believes in shopping local and supporting local business so he isn't into internet sales. He just now started tinkering with selling on E-bay, mainly his old KR 750 race parts. I told him we should put together a 107 kit, with the heads flowed (with a core charge) and market them.

Quick Reply: Is dyno tuning about to be a thing of the past?