Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Bat Wing Fairing vs. Road Glide Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
thirdruffian1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Bones
The bat wing might give a little more protection from the wind but I never cared for the the way it came from under the fairing and straight up my chest under my glasses.

That was one of the annoying things on my Ultra Classic- my beard stayed in my eyes and my hair constantly blew over my shoulder and into my face. I never had that problem on the Street Glide I had before the UC, so it must have had something to do with the combination of the batwing and the lowers creating some kind of weird air currents.
No such issues so far with the RGU... beard stays where it is supposed to, and the ponytail stays behind me.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 PM
slammd
Cruiser

Thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM
evolau
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main difference is buffering the side wind.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The batwing offers better wind protection for the rider. The RG faining feels more spacious, but it's also affected more in a direct crosswind, due to its larger cross-section. Neither one handles as well as a Road King, if handling is your prime concern.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We're not thru giving you our opinions, now sit down and listen!!!

I just came off a 2006 Road Glide for a 2011 Ultra Limited. The Road cuts through the wind much better than the bat wing imo. The turbulance around the head while on the roadie has move to the sides & knees on the Bat Wing.

A short windshield on the Road Glide will get you a lot of buffeting around the head & shoulders. A Clearview will eliminate a lot of that.

I miss the way the Roadie cut through the wind and that could be in part because the fairing is attached to the frame and secondly the Roadie fairing appears to be more aerodynamic. On the other hand the bat wing being so close to the rider puts you in a pocket of wind protection with a standard shield (I'm 5'10") imo.

Bottom line I think the Roadie manages the wind better with the right shield. Put enough time on the Road Glide and it may win you over!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 AM
PadreL
Club Member

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Therein lies the dilemma....I've owned and rode a good bit of miles on both.( *Regular FLTR not the FLTRU )Because the RG windshield is situated further out in front...a larger distance from the rider...every inch you go
lower in windshield height degrades wind protection more than on the EGlide Batwing-

The closer you are to the windshield the easier it is to see over it and it's easier to see through it if you have to...And the more protection it's gonna give.

If you could ride both bikes in 30 degree temps for a while and experiment with various windshields on each it'll be obvious.

IMHO: - The RGU's a kickazz touring bike,it'll slip through the wind easier cause it's streamlined that'll mean more miles per gallon,and it's a cool looking cycle in full touring form,but the batwing's better at keeping Wind/Cold/Rain off the rider.
+1. I went from an FLHTC to the FLTRU and noticed a big increase in buffeting, starting at 60-65 mph. After adding a Clearview windshield to the Road Glide the buffeting is almost completely gone.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Road Glide Charley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is that your height matters. If you are 6'2" like myself, then the extra room is great. As I stated in a different post, with the new baffles that go on the engine guards, the stock windshield, my beard, which now hangs down to my shirt pockets, doesn't fly up in my face. However, on a FLHT, I have to tie it with a hair tie to keep it out of my eyes. The issues of wind coming under the sharknose was real. The ultra lowers and baffles answered that.
Winter riding- your hands will get colder faster, as the batwing offers more hand protection.
I know you didn't ask but if you don't have a 36 inch sleeve length, it will be a major stretch to touch the radio.
Roadglides aren't for everyone....... but neither are Harleys.