Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHRCI w/Cruise Throttle Cable Adj. !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006 | 03:51 PM
dforeid
|
Road Captain
Default FLHRCI w/Cruise Throttle Cable Adj. !!!

Have an '05 Roadking Classic with the stock cruise control. Doing my own servicing and time to take a little slack out of the trottle cables. Man.... I'm reading the procedure in the shop manual... Lordy! it looks like a major pain in the A$$. Is there a more simple way to do this? Is it really as bad as it looks in the manual?

Wondering if any of you doing your own wrenching have tackled this and what kinda "gotchas" I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.....

Old 09-25-2006 | 07:09 PM
dforeid
|
Road Captain
Default RE: FLHRCI w/Cruise Throttle Cable Adj. !!!

ORIGINAL: dforeid

Have an '05 Roadking Classic with the stock cruise control. Doing my own servicing and time to take a little slack out of the trottle cables. Man.... I'm reading the procedure in the shop manual... Lordy! it looks like a major pain in the A$$. Is there a more simple way to do this? Is it really as bad as it looks in the manual?

Wondering if any of you doing your own wrenching have tackled this and what kinda "gotchas" I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.....
Did a search on this subject here in the forum and not much help. What say you? Any tips on this, manual makes it look like a real PITA.

Old 09-25-2006 | 07:38 PM
okierider
Advanced

I just used the procedure for my 05 list here at Mocc's place. Worked fine for me.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

Throttle Cable Adjustment

1.) Remove the air breather so you can see the throttle wheel on the carb/EFI.
2.) Open the throttle grip wide open, and adjust the throttle cable (front one at the grip) so that the carb/EFI wheel just touches its full stop plate. Adjustment is achieved by sliding back the black rubber boots at the hand control end and loosening the locking nut, then turning the hex sleeve to stretch or shrink the cable.
3.) Close the throttle grip, and adjust the decel cable until you have only a small amount of slack.
4.) While working the grip, make sure that the carb/EFI wheel meets both of its stops while the throttle is fully open and fully closed. Do this with the forks fully turned both ways as well to be sure there is no cable binding or pulling.

After Adjusting the Throttle Cables, it will be necessary to reset the Cable Lash Initialization for the Cruise Control.

Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization
For Harley Touring Models

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

Old 09-25-2006 | 07:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

there are 2 cables coming out of your throttle grip, under the rubber boots there are a little lock nut and a larger adjusting "nut", loosen the lock nut,, then turn out the adjusting nut 1 or 2 threads, retighten the lock nut .,,,,,,, this removes the excessive free play you have when first twisting the throttle. remember a little free play is a good thing

Old 09-25-2006 | 09:14 PM
dforeid
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

there are 2 cables coming out of your throttle grip, under the rubber boots there are a little lock nut and a larger adjusting "nut", loosen the lock nut,, then turn out the adjusting nut 1 or 2 threads, retighten the lock nut .,,,,,,, this removes the excessive free play you have when first twisting the throttle. remember a little free play is a good thing
That's all I'm wanting to due is take up some of the slack. With 20K on the scooter now, it's a little on the sloppy side. Can I do what you just suggested and be OK, or will I need to go through the whole process that Okierider (thanks for the info Okie) spelled out? Didn't want to get into all that unless it is in fact necessary.

Old 09-26-2006 | 08:42 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

dforeid,,,,,, if while you begin to twist your throttle, and you feel way to much free play,before the throttle cables actually begin to move, do as I recomended,,,,,, ya dont need to turn the adjusting nut very much,,, and leave a little free play.. I think, if I made a mark and twisted mine till i got resistance, then measured,, I proby have 1/4 inch????
I did it to mine when Brand new,,,,, havnt had any prob's
same goes for your clutch cable,,,,

Old 09-26-2006 | 10:18 PM
dforeid
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

dforeid,,,,,, if while you begin to twist your throttle, and you feel way to much free play,before the throttle cables actually begin to move, do as I recomended,,,,,, ya dont need to turn the adjusting nut very much,,, and leave a little free play.. I think, if I made a mark and twisted mine till i got resistance, then measured,, I proby have 1/4 inch????
I did it to mine when Brand new,,,,, havnt had any prob's
same goes for your clutch cable,,,,
Cool, thanks Rick - I'll just try that. If I end up having to calibrate, then so beit. Yeah, the slack is just ahead of getting any resistence, so I think the cables themselves are cool, it's just that little bit before they resist that I'm trying to reduce some.

Old 06-12-2008 | 03:56 PM
mcralph
Intermediate

When I do the first steps to take up throttle cable slack, the green light never goes on. What gives??