Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're referring to Harley's HD BOOM! speakers, right?
I installed a pair in place of stock speakers (2 speakers no amp) & found that they're much better than the stock speakers, especially for the price but they still have more distortion then I expected when you play any genre of song that has a lot of bass. I know they're not subs but I expected a little more tolerance than they offer. With that said I haven't compared them to anything else but stock speakers, I'm definitely looking for more in terms of clarity, volume & a little more thump. I can hear them fine at 75-80. If I lower the bass level to half then it gets rid of just about all the distortion (I don't want to do that for all my music though). Hopefully someone will have a comparison before I do btwn Booms & JM's.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for all us guys that ride with half helmets or no helmet try earplugs. they dampen a lot of wind noise and you can hear the music a lot clearer. if you do give us your honest opinion.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by harley#1
for all us guys that ride with half helmets or no helmet try earplugs. they dampen a lot of wind noise and you can hear the music a lot clearer. if you do give us your honest opinion.
I do this with my J&M's on my softail as I do not ruin a windshield and it makes it much easier to hear the speakers at speeds above 70 mph.

Drew

Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

a biased opinion is useless and looks goofy to me and is a turnnoff. JMO

Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thecort
I think you're referring to Harley's HD BOOM! speakers, right?
I installed a pair in place of stock speakers (2 speakers no amp) & found that they're much better than the stock speakers, especially for the price but they still have more distortion then I expected when you play any genre of song that has a lot of bass. I know they're not subs but I expected a little more tolerance than they offer...

...I'm definitely looking for more in terms of clarity, volume & a little more thump. I can hear them fine at 75-80. If I lower the bass level to half then it gets rid of just about all the distortion (I don't want to do that for all my music though).
I agree. My RGC came with the boom set. It's very buzzy with any reasonable bass level at all. Very dissatisfied. If I hadn't got them free I'd be pissed. Just can't decide how far to go - just speakers or the whole amp thing.

I can't seem to find anyone around who has a demo bike.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely want an amp but with all these different opinions on which system is "best", I would really love to hear them in person before dropping the bucks. I wish there was a place in the NY/NJ area that had demo sound systems like car audio places do. What I may think sounds great may be only ok to someone else & vice versa.