Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview windshields

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
IndyBill628
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearview windshields

I bought a Clearview wind shield for my 06 RG and fitment does not seem real great. The outside holes are 1/4" off and the bend does not seem good. Also on the new well nuts they do not wnt to put tight. I am going to take a Dremel tool and adjust the opening. Not sure about the well nuts. Anyone have this problem and what is the fix.

Thanks
Bill

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clearview windshields

Next time go with www.fastaire.com ![>:]

Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
mhutch2
Advanced

I just put one on last week. Its a 8" with the lip. It fit great and is way better as far as quality of material and craftsmenship than the cheapy I bought on ebay. If you haven't taken the plastic stickon stuff off they'll replace it for you. I talked to them at length before I ordered (and after) and they seemed real easy to work with. I'd be interested to know if they make it right.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bill.........my Clearview Shield was a snug fit on my '04 RoadGlide. Before you take a Dremel tool to the wellnut openings, start the installation process with the center wellnut on the front fairing and install one side at a time. If you are still experiencing non-fitment, call the factory for over-the-phone assistance. Don't take a Dremel to your fairing!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 PM
sortasuave
Tourer

I've got their shields too and have been very please with it. I would give them a call first to get some help. Even if you did take plastic off of it, I would give them a call. They will be far more likely to be able to assist you if you have not modified the product. Besides, I'm sure they would want to know if there was a bad batch of them produced.

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

I agree with Bountyhunter....shoulda gone with fastaire.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful

Bill.........my Clearview Shield was a snug fit on my '04 RoadGlide. Before you take a Dremel tool to the wellnut openings, start the installation process with the center wellnut on the front fairing and install one side at a time. If you are still experiencing non-fitment, call the factory for over-the-phone assistance. Don't take a Dremel to your fairing!
WHAT HE SAID!

When I got my +2" shield for my 06 RG I thought the same thing you did until I actually started bolting it on, then it "magically" fit perfectly. They make tons of RG shields, and if it doesn't fit the mistake is probably on your end (no offense)

As a last resort, call them. They have excellent customer service and your shield is warranteed unless you've peeled the skin off.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe I didn't navigate Fastaire's website properly, but I couldn't find a windshield for a RoadGlide (FLTR). Seems like they have many happy customers who own FLH series bikes.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
BlkNyt
Advanced

I also have an '06 RG, and just installed my Clearview shield this past week. Frankly, I encountered the same "problem" and thought it was also an alignment issue. I then checked the outside wellnut that was giving me a problem, and found that it that the nut/rubber had become quite distorted from changing windshields over time. The fix for me was to replace the 2 outide wellnuts (at I think about 75 cents apiece), and then slightly threading the wellnut into the screw after I've run the screw through the hole in the shield and then inserting the entire wellnut-with-screw-and-windshield attached into the hole in the fairing (it's easy to do since the rubber on the new wellnut is much thinner than a used one). Then it fit perfectly. I assume it's a much tighter fit than OEM since the materials are of a much higher quality and far stronger. I took it for a test run on the freeway to check out the head-buffeting and there was absolutely none (and mine is a bit shorter than some, since I ordered a custom size to match the OEM height - I'm 6'2"). Having tested it, there is practically zero over-the-shield wind effect. In fact, now that I've solved that problem. I now notice that there is a predominant amount of wind that comes from below the fairing -- I guess it's time to look into lowers -- a subject for another post. Anyway, I strongly urge you not to modify the Clearview shield, unless you have a production defect. My fit is excellent...

Old 09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
IndyBill628
Novice

Thanks for all the replies. I called the factory and was told what most of you suggested and that was to put the well nuts on first. I do not want to trim the shield if not needed. I am sure it is an error on my part and I guess a bigger hammer is not answer either.

Thanks again
Bill

Quick Reply: Clearview windshields