Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a BIG mistake

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:07 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by the4thgearkid
Answer these questions...
1) Can I afford it?
2) Will I get my money out of the bike I am selling considering the add-ons?
3) Did I take my wife for a test ride to see if she liked it?
4) Will you be pussified now that you are going bagger? (cheap pile-on )

Compile your answers and then do what you want.

Seriously, the wife being happy has some merrit to it. I had a 06 fatboy dragonfly green. Wife loved it. I put her on the back of the 09 EG Standard, and she just went off. She hated it, said she couldn't tell the difference. It took a good 4 months for her to admit the ride was much more comfortable and far superior for her.

So good luck
There is IMO alot of merit in this post. My wife would not ride with me on my souped up 100 HP 93 FXLR. Just bought a new Tri-Glide and she loves and can't stay off it. Being a disabled vet, it think she was afraid of the two wheeler due to some of the stability issues that I have. That being said, the Tri took care of those issues. Now that I'm riding again with my best friend for over 33 years, how at whatever cost can you beat that? At least we are doing something together again that we both love.

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:19 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Well when I bought my FB a few years ago, I just didn't get the whole touring bike thing. But it didn't take too long to figure out a SG was what I wanted. So I found an 06 back in August at a dealer with ~2K miles on it. Damn thing looked like it rolled right off the showroom floor. I got it for a good price with a trade in of my wife's bike so I did the deal.

And boy do I love that bike. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest with the frame upgrade. But it sure makes me smile. I still get on the FB from time to time, but it's the Glide that is getting the most use. 4600 miles in 3 months.

Shakey

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:22 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

where are the picts of your new bike?

Old 12-01-2010 | 11:27 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
If you have not previously owned a fairing bike, if you are like me, once the newness wears off you will be longing for your old Dyna. On the other hand, if you are losing sleep thinking about the SG then you better go ahead and get it and get it out of your system. You can always buy another real Harley.
someone took that sign thats in your picture. i just took some friends through the loop and it was gone.
It really sucks because it is so pretty there in the spring and its going to get closed to through traffic.

Old 12-01-2010 | 12:00 PM
JimPalmer
Intermediate

Nothing wrong with buying a HD from a private buyer. Make sure the bike is still under factory warranty and buy the extended service plan. If the factory warranty is expired, do a walk-through purchase with your local dealer, so you can enroll.

Old 12-01-2010 | 12:09 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JonnyD
SG's are old news,(yeah, I said it) just get an Ultra or EG and make things detachable. Trust me, you'll be in my shoes before you know it, and spending to make it wife-comfy. Call BS, or call me a liar, now, but you'll be kicking yourself later!

Mark my words, mark my words.
Had the EG Classic (with everything detachable). Everything stayed detached because I had it stripped to a Street Glide. Never used the tour pack, just the backrest. Now I have a Street Glide and like it better because of the smooth look.

Old 12-01-2010 | 12:41 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Yep, went in looking for a Electraglide Standard; but wanted cruise and a stereo. Price was comparable to an Ultra. Got the Ultra with detachable stuff.

This time of year is great for the buyer...so good luck selling your bike and throwing a leg over another one. Street Glides are sweet for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Made a BIG mistake-img_0055.jpg   Made a BIG mistake-img00234.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010 | 02:18 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

where are the picts of your new bike?
Was this question for me?

Old 12-01-2010 | 02:39 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Buy a RoadKing ...you will save a lot of money - which will make her happy.

And you can add to it or subtract things from it as you go along.

Smartest move I made was a RK...Versatility with a capital V

Old 12-01-2010 | 06:35 PM
a34655
|
Cruiser

Answer these questions...
1) Can I afford it?
2) Will I get my money out of the bike I am selling considering the add-ons?
3) Did I take my wife for a test ride to see if she liked it?
4) Will you be pussified now that you are going bagger? (cheap pile-on )

Compile your answers and then do what you want.
1) Yes
2) Probable not. Does anyone ever?
3)Not this bike but a freinds.
4)Im already a 1/2 a puss so this might push me over the edge.

I would love to keep my Dyna and add the SG but I cant at this time so Ill wait it out and see if my bike sells then go looking for a replacement.
As far as getting an Ultra, or a RK or a ...........
Ive always wanted a SG so Ill wait it out, if it was meant to be Ill be on a new used ride shortly, if it wasnt meant to be Ill cash in my kids college fund and have 2 rides.

Quick Reply: Made a BIG mistake