Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double knee replacement---yikes!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
1stultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double knee replacement---yikes!!

Any of you ever have bilateral total knee replacement? How long before you were able to ride? I go in tomorrow morning and just wondered how long my bike would be sitting on the jack.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Psyop
Intermediate

Good luck hope it goes good for you. My dad had that done a few years ago. He was walking in a few days and with hard physical therapy he did a triathlon 3 months later. Im sure his results were not typical but he was in good shape to start with and worked hard after.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with replacements. Had a friend go thru that a few years back & he was riding in 3 months.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Aslan
Road Master

Don't know anything about the healing time but good luck hope you are back on the bike soon.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife had one done 8 weeks ago and I feel like she is about to the point where she could ride on the bike. Make sure you do the PT. It will hurt like hell but that is what makes all the progress during the healing process.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine both at the same time about 5 years ago maybe 6 and was in the hospital for three days and 5 weeks later I was hanging ductwork for a customer that had his contractor bug out on him. Now mind you I was sore and not moving very fast but my doc said it helped me recover faster then just sitting around. It was tough but no step for a stepper. You should be on you bike by spring. Which ones are you getting the ones that swivel on the ones that don't.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
1stultra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
Which ones are you getting the ones that swivel on the ones that don't.
I'm getting the Depuy Sigma Series LCS rotating mobile bearing knee in both legs. It does rotate like seven degrees. I told my Orthopedic Surgeon I wanted to ride, surf, and fly fish. This is the one he recommended. I hope my rehab goes half as well as yours did.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

Best of luck to you....hope you heal fast.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

sisterinlaw had it done two years ago, said she wish she had it done years ago.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
pled55
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1stultra
Any of you ever have bilateral total knee replacement? How long before you were able to ride? I go in tomorrow morning and just wondered how long my bike would be sitting on the jack.
got one done in july of 07and one done in july of 08 both went very well did some therophy
and was riding in september both times .the key is to have a good surgeon and do as much of the therophy as you can.in my case i didn't have a choice it got to the point where i couldn't hardly walk and didn't trust them to hold up the bike and me .i ride every chance i get now .the whole quality of life has improved big time .hope this helps and good luck and a speedy recovery . at least it's being done in the winter .you can spend endless hours on the forum

Quick Reply: Double knee replacement---yikes!!