Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double knee replacement---yikes!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I would ask for a bionic knee.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:31 AM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey......The worst part is over! Good for you.........!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For those of you who did both knees at the same time, how hard was it to get up and down on the throne? The few who I have known that did both knees at the same time said going to the bathroom was impossible without help and they would only do one knee at a time if they had to do it over again. (I ask because knee replacement surgery is in my near future! I really like the idea of only ONE rehab however!)

Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a screwed up left knee, I wear an offloader brace.
My injury was 7 years ago, I am too too young for a knee replacement.
My knee Doc says, keep my weight down, and keep working out.
here is my workout
seated squat machine, 5 times a week, 50 reps and the weight I can cause fatigue.
Incline plank for stretching for 10 minutes each day.
Leg extension with heal forward 5 minutes
Bend you leg with your heal touching your butt 1 minute 5 reps.
One legged legs bends on stairs holding on to the rail, slightly bent, go to fatigue.
I have done these exercises for years now, and I have the doctors baffled.
Now this guy wants to use me as a study.
Oh, buy the way, I have 3cm of menicus on the anterior knee and 2 on the posterior.
I also take supplements for my issue.

Glucosamine chondroitin
Sam-e
Flax seed oil
Fish Oil
Multiple vitamin
If I don't exercise or take my pills my knee has chronic pain, when i follow my own instructions NO knee pain, and I can live normally.
This take commitment, but I don't want to be a cripple after two knee replacements, that all you get, some last 10-15 years, some last 5 depends on if your overweight and exercise.
This is just my two cents worth, I love to ride, and I don't want knee pain to limit my riding ability.
this takes just a half hour per day, it is well worth the benefits.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stultra
Day 5 post surgery and yep...this stuff hurts. I have my second round of PT tomorrow morning. I'm getting about 90 degrees of bend in both knees but I swear like a sailor getting there. They've let me walk short distances with a walker, without the leg imobilizers and that's encouraging. Those first steps were scary. The daily increases in strength, flexibility and confidence are amazing. Bottom line, there's is no sugar coating this operation, it truly hurts like hell; but I sure like the idea of only one surgery, one rehab. Thanks to all for the encouragement and well wishes! See you on the highway this spring!
Yep it does hurt like hell now but you will love the feeling of waking up 6 months down the line and being able to pass the daily pain killers that were killing your stomach and your knees won't be an issue as long as you keep moving. Great to hear you made it through the surgery. WE NEW YOU COULD DO IT...

Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

I'm getting the Depuy Sigma Series LCS rotating mobile bearing knee in both legs. It does rotate like seven degrees. I told my Orthopedic Surgeon I wanted to ride, surf, and fly fish. This is the one he recommended. I hope my rehab goes half as well as yours did.
A riding buddie of mine got a double knee replacement 2 yrs ago in the winter and rode at Sturgis that same year. He was back on his bike that same Spring. He also got the Depuy knees as we both work for the parent company (J&J). Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-07-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Psyop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad the surgery went well. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
1stultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
For those of you who did both knees at the same time, how hard was it to get up and down on the throne? The few who I have known that did both knees at the same time said going to the bathroom was impossible without help and they would only do one knee at a time if they had to do it over again. (I ask because knee replacement surgery is in my near future! I really like the idea of only ONE rehab however!)
Difficult yes, impossible no. I get up and down off my new throne/highchair without any assistance. This is kind of a nasty, but very important subject. The drugs constipate you. Then add the fact that your blood goes rushing down hill, adding pressure to knees that have been sliced, sawed, drilled and hammered upon and what you have is a recipe for some big time pain. And by the way, while you're in that pain, go ahead and pass that bowling ball. This major breakthrough happened for me just yesterday. Hallelujah!!! Now, with all that said, there's no way I'd change a thing. One surgery, one rehab all the way. The very best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Any of you ever have bilateral total knee replacement? How long before you were able to ride? I go in tomorrow morning and just wondered how long my bike would be sitting on the jack.
I had just my right knee done in May. I started taking short rides again bout 6 weeks later. Of course I didn't tell the surgeon. I figure if you can get on you can ride. The knee is stronger than it was, and now it's always replacable Good luck, tell 'em to pour on the meds, and if they give you Dilaudid, take a stool softner or you'll feel like you got a cinder block up there (don't ask how I know