Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double knee replacement---yikes!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. If I ever have to get it done I am going to make them make me a few inches taller!!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stultra
I'm getting the Depuy Sigma Series LCS rotating mobile bearing knee in both legs. It does rotate like seven degrees. I told my Orthopedic Surgeon I wanted to ride, surf, and fly fish. This is the one he recommended. I hope my rehab goes half as well as yours did.
No hopin to it just do the meds they give you so you can do the PT they want you to do..... stay on the machine till they tell you to give it up and let the lady or guy that comes to your house stretch you till it hurts like hell. we'll be pullin for ya maybe we'll see ya on the road sometime

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Getyurmotorunnin
Cruiser

So how old are you guys, Im 59 and my Dr says im to young.
Best of luck to ya.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM
indigofarm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck
the key is to get moving as soon as much as possible....keep the swelling and pain under control and start using your quads....lots of pt and get your quads and hip muscles as strong as possible even after you get out of PT work to regain your quadriceps strength on your own. most people can function on less than 60-70% strength than previous but you want your leg strength as great as you can get it to protect the reconstructed joint and your hip and ankle.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like everyone else said...best of luck. do what the doc says, do the pt, and don't just sit around. you'll be up to speed in late feb/early march. seems a long way off but will be here quickly. best of luck. let us know how it went....

Old 11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Getyurmotorunnin
Best of luck to ya.
I was 48 when I had mine done I'm going to be 53 in march.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 PM
luckyhog
Advanced

Good luck with your surgery. Listen to the doctor and work hard with your PT. My cousin had one knee replaced, he was up and walkingin just a couple if days. He is now playing golf.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll be riding before Spring................... Do all the theropy it's a big deal.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 PM
1stultra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Getyurmotorunnin
Best of luck to ya.
I'm 54 years old and if I were you I'd be getting a second opinion. They used to say 50's was too young but that's just not so anymore. Studies have shown that the prosthesis (DePuy rotating mobile bearing platforms in particular) they're using for knee replacements today are lasting 20 years and beyond. And if if it turns out I need new knees again when I'm 75 my guess is they'll be light years ahead with the surgery by then so bring it on.

Just for a little background: I've had a total of 5 surgeries on my knees, three left and two right, twice synvisc injected (it's kinda like amsoil for the knees except it was worthless for me) and twice with cortisone shots. I've taken more pills in the last two years than most folks do in a lifetime and my gut's not at all happy about it. So bottom line...it's time.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and I hope to be back on the road by April!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 AM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey.........GOOD LUCK!!!.........like the others have said............PT, PT, PT!!

Quick Reply: Double knee replacement---yikes!!