Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 440's Input needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 440's Input needed.

I have a chance to get a great buy on a set of 440's. I have a 2" lowering block now but rub when riding 2 up and hitting rough bumps. I need the drop and progressive says that I am right between a standard and heavy duty shock with my weight and riding habits. any one with info on these shocks would help. I don't have money to do everything twice......oh heck even once for that matter!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I had the same issue on my 97 RK, I was about 250 and went with the Heavy Duty shocks at the time...They were great, but had to have them on the softest setting riding solo...When I loaded it up, I could turn it up a bit...

If someone lighter than me road the bike solo (tech) they were a little stiff and bounced him around.

I loved those shocks and the way the bike road with them..

Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bigdad68
I have a chance to get a great buy on a set of 440's. I have a 2" lowering block now but rub when riding 2 up and hitting rough bumps. I need the drop and progressive says that I am right between a standard and heavy duty shock with my weight and riding habits. any one with info on these shocks would help. I don't have money to do everything twice......oh heck even once for that matter!
Like you, I'm right on the line between the HD and standard shock. I use the HD ones with no pre-load when I'm solo and crank up the preload accordingly when the wife is on the back.

I've actually left them cranked all the way up when solo too and while the ride is firm, it is not abusive.

I love them. Depending how good a deal you're talking about, its probably worth it. Your other alternatives are Works, Ricor and Ohlins - all of which will be a step (or two or three) up from the Progressives.

Why do you "need" the drop? I'm assuming you're very inseam challenged?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set on my old bike, a 2001 FLHTCUI. They replaced the factory air shocks which leaked. I installed the stock height as a direct replacement. I am 235# and set them on 3 of 8 turns solo. I set them to 6 turns when two-up with the old lady and the full 8 when loaded to the limit. I used the HD version 440's. A much improved ride. I did not see or feel any bouncing. I could under a load when two-up, hitting a road thermal expansion bump, have them bottom out. Not to worry, they rebounded nicely. For the cost, they were well worth it.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
HDRDKG
5th Gear

Bigdad68
Had the same problem and went with the 440's. Very good choice, great ride and no bottoming out.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I go 250 and when I have a passenger on I sometimes will bump the stops if I don't crank up the springs.

Since you asked for my opinion here it is.

I have had them for 2 years and love them. I loved them even more when I did Progressive suspension in my front forks.

The 440's can't make up for the fact the front suspension
( SHOWA) is pure crap and HD should be ashamed of putting it on a bike.
Do the rears and the forks and you think you are riding a BMW

Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser

I am only 190 and the wife is 120. I rode solo to and from work everyday. The deal is on some HD's but I am concerned that even on the softest setting at my weight it will beat me up.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Bigdad68
Cruiser

bump.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

I installed the 440 HD a couple years ago. Only rode solo with them. Recently, I noticed a bit of oil leaking from one. Called Progressive and they told me to box em up and ship them to La Palma with the purchase receipt and the RMA that they provide.
They prefer to replace them in pairs if one fails.
I threw the original shocks away because they sprung an air leak. Now I have to find something to support the bike during the down time. Maybe some 2X4s drilled to hold the bolts.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Now I have to find something to support the bike during the down time. Maybe some 2X4s drilled to hold the bolts.
Bar stock will do the trick

Quick Reply: Progressive 440's Input needed.