Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my new 07 & wife today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped my new 07 & wife today.

Well they tell you not to look down near the front wheel and pull on the front brake, I found out today that they are right.

I got up this morning played my Ride Like A Pro dvd and then went to a vacant high school parking lot with my little cones and practiced for about 45 min to an hour.

Obviously I didn't master the drills but I did improve enough to feel more comfortable on my new 07 UC with 300 miles on it. So I took my wife and went on about a two hour ride.

Everything was going fine until we were on our way home and I pulled up to a Blind T intersectionin the country. I knew I shouldn't roll through the stop sign because #1. it aint legal and I am a former cop, and #2. I couldn't see what might be coming. Sooooo I pulled over in the right side of the lane to make a right hand turn on a slight upgrade, slowed down to about 2 mph, when I saw a hole in front of me on my right, damn all of a sudden we were going over. I felt like Artie Johnson and his trike on the old "Laugh In" TV show.

Here we were hooked to our communications ports and flailing around on our sides trying to get up while trying to not to roll on down the hill. It was an ugly sight. Needless to say after making sure my wifewas OK, I looked around to see if anyone saw us. Damn again, here came some nice lady with her teenage son and they stopped in the middle of the road and got out of their car to see if we were OK. The boy help me and the wife to set back up the bike. At that point I wasn't sure if I was going to get back on or not, but I did. My wife couldn't stop laughing. She said not at me but with me, I am not so sure about that.

Beside having a bruised ego and a couple of small scratches on my saddlebag gaurd and engine gaurd, all three of us are OK. The TIP indicator really does come on after you turn one over. Like you would forget something like that. Glad I read my owners manual and remmebered the cancellation code.

I guess it is back to the High School parking lot for more practice.

By the way I anit no piker either, I am 6'1" 340lb. Come to think of it, that might be the problem. Flame away.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dropped my new 07 & wife today.

you'll do just fine...keep ridin

Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No flame. Happens to the best of us. Glad you, the Mrs. and the bike are OK. Keep riding.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens to everyone... As long as nothing but pride was injured, no worries. Hang in there and keep practicing. You were having a great time up until the drop, right? Little touch up paint and some practice, and you will be fine!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NB: Don't sweat it! Just one of those little reminders that we are mortal. Glad your wife saw the humor in the incident. I am not sure that my wife would have. Just a few days ago, my wife and I completed a ride that ended with a climb to altitude and temps about 40 degs. At the parking spot, I made that infamous turn into a parking spot that would put the bike pointing away from the curb. I was so cold that I cut it too short with too much lean. I knew that I was loosing the bike to the left. My wife piled off and helped me straighten up the Road King Classic. My riding partner watched all this. He had some 'cut-to-the-quick' remarks about it. I just laughed it off and told him "just wait, it WILL happen to you too some day."

Get back on the horse and put the spurs to it! Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger! ................. BC

Old 09-24-2006, 09:57 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

The TIP indicator really does come on after you turn one over. Like you would forget something like that. Glad I read my owners manual and remmebered the cancellation code.
OK I give .. what's a "tip indicator" and how does it work?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Glad you and the lady are okay - pick her up and keep on riding. Is your wife still going to ride with you or are you on your own from now on?

That would have been my wife - laughing - me would have not been so happy and not laughing. Good thing someone was there to help hoist that beast back upright. Why does this seem to happen when the bike is brand new? I forgot to put my kickstand down and dropped her on the left side - only had a couple hundred miles.

Just remember, those scratches are called "character".

Old 09-24-2006, 10:10 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you & yours are OK & you're big enough to talk about it. We all go through it. THe Ride Like a Pro exercises are great and will prove invaluable in getting you better aquainted with your bike and what works vs what doesn't work. Time in the parking lot is time well spent.

The best news of all is that wifey got up smiling! Had she gotten scared, you'd have an entirely different "problem" on your hands.....

Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

I was going to laugh , then I remembered years ago my first harley , so proud backing it out of garage going to take my girl for a ride , and my left foot slipped out and bike started to go over , and if you ever did it you know what I mean about 3/4 over and you cant pull it back up. I actually padded the bike's fall by throwing my body between the bike and ground. I was lucky a very small ding in my new red tank OUCH SH*T HAPPENS

Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I'm glad you and your wife is ok as well...
Its good that your wife has a sense of humor as well...
paul

Quick Reply: Dropped my new 07 & wife today.