Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my new 07 & wife today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dropped my new 07 & wife today.

Hey, it happens. Glad you and the wife were not hurt. My wife has dropped her Softail about seven times since she got it in Feb. This last time put her on crutches for two weeks. Not sure what she is doing but it has something to do with line of sight, brakes, sharp turns at slow speeds and who knows what else.....................

Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Welcome to the club of HD Riders (Having Dropped Riders).

Mine has been on the side 3 times so far. Every time from a complete stop.

The wife was on board 2 of those times and still rides with me.

It is a part of riding but probably could have been avoided. Anyway, I have learned something each time.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Sportshot
Cruiser

Heck, I dropped my 07 street Glide and I wasn't even on it! The SG is lowered and stands up straighter on the side stand. I was on a slight hill to my left, got off the bike and took one step away when it fell over behnd me. just moved the hiway peg a little and a small bend on the bottom of the right floorboard. I am always sure that the bike sidestand is in the tab by moving it back and forth but never expected it would fall over to the right side with the stand down.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup usually happens when there is lots of people watching

Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 AM
RKGary
Cruiser

I am glad everyone is fine. Any speed can cause an injury. I have gone down at 60 plus with no injury. I went to the hospital when I went down at about 20 mph. As was said, it happens fast. I ended up on top of the bike. I was taught that you never stay with the bike, moving parts. I actually thought to myself that I was almost stopped so I will ride it out. Big mistake. The bike hit something and suddenly stopped. I ended up in the drive chain and sproket which were still being powered by the engine.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: Nellybelle

The MOCO put in the LCD readout a notification that says TIP. It is to let you know that your bike went over. Must be designed so if someone knocks your bike over and doesn't tell you about it you will know anyway before you start it.
Dan, the tip sensor is a safety feature put on motorcycles that is designed to cut out the motor in the event of a tip over or crash.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
mcman
Cruiser

As everyone else said, I'm glad you, wife and bike are OK. Try not to let it bother you too much. It's happened to all of us here at one time or another. It hurts your pride and your ego but as long as there were no broken bones, the pride and ego will survive. Good luck and keep riding. I've had some really embarrassing moments in my almost 35 years of riding.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah, been there....Parking lot...With the OL...Been a number of years since I've had it drop over...You do get a bit more cautious of what's under your foot or front tire. Glad you didn't crack your eggs in the upset.

Now for some hijacking...
ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

ORIGINAL: dchoran...What spooks me is what do you do on the high speed dumps - hang on or jump off????? Dread that day, but I wanna be ready. Hope it ain't a T-bone...
I was involved in a high speed dump (50mph) on April 30th when a woman driving a cage made a quick left in front of me. I landed in the hospital for a month with a shattered pelvis. I'm just getting back to riding.
Let me say this, from experience, it happens so fast you don't know what hit you...
Been there too: Guy wanted to be in the same lane with me on I75....And from what I recall, that last few micro-seconds are in slow mo....Then you normally black out...Or get knocked out. The outcome is never like one of those Hollywood stunts where the rider safely 'slides' to a rest...The witnesses stated I looked like a football bouncing down the highway-and everyone ducking and dodging trying to miss me...

More like something on Cops...Or Worlds Ugliest Crashes....

Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 AM
ldr999
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Certainly glad you and the spouse are ok.

I dropped my week old 07 SG going to get coffee----I was making a right turn---thought I saw car coming I hit both brakes did not put a foot down----did a slow motion drop to the crash bar----I know everyone at the bus stop across the the street was wondering what the he!! I was doing (there was no car). Pride hurt--bike ok---I got back up went on to get coffee---lesson learned.

Lyn in ATL

Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain

At least that is out of the way; but don't sweat it. I think you have the right idea. . .get back out and practice.

Quick Reply: Dropped my new 07 & wife today.