Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

bmcgc,
Kudos for thinking outside the box. The naysayers and the naredowells fail to realize that most of the wizbang aftermarket devices they are currently running on their bikes, began as an idea from someone like yourself. That being said, I do believe you face some heavy challenges with your initial idea; 1, excessive pressure drop from running 2 oil filters. 2, cavitation in the secondary system from drain back because the system will be mounted much higher than the rest of the OEM system. 3, the cover will shroud a lot of the potential cooling effect. It sound like your motivation for this project is asthetics. I would offer that you might consider just running a cooler core or some kind of heat exchanger behind your extra AC cover, and add a fan or fans to it, they work. If you mount puller fans inboard you could get a dual effect by drawing air through the heat exchanger and exhausting it across the cylinders like the parade fans. I was considering a similar project but I was going to use the cover to shroud an air horn system. Good luck, don't get dicouraged and stay after it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM
pbneb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to get away from the radiator type you might consider the Billet Cool Unit. It installs to the nipple for your oil filter and then your oil filter attaches to the nipple on the cooler. It has no preasure or volume drop.There is no thermostat and comes with a cold weather cover. I have had one on my 08 Deluxe for almost three years and am very satisfied.

Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler idea-oilcooler4.jpg   Oil cooler idea-billetcooloil.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Pbneb, I like the look of the Billet Cool Unit. Do you have a link? Even if it doesn't cool as well as a MOCO, it has to help. I see a side benifit of getting the oil filer out where you stand a chance of catching the oil at changes and not making a mess.---Tom

Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcfamy
Pbneb, I like the look of the Billet Cool Unit. Do you have a link? Even if it doesn't cool as well as a MOCO, it has to help. I see a side benifit of getting the oil filer out where you stand a chance of catching the oil at changes and not making a mess.---Tom

Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also be interested in finding out more about the billet cooler shown by pbneb. I went searching on-line and found similar units, but they all go in place of the existing filter or cover the existing filter. I like the idea with the one show above, where the filter is attached to the outside of the cooler.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the K&P Engineering filter. My temps very seldom run over 240, even in 105 degree days this past summer while in town.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run the billet cooler on the White Lightning. Slick setup, just put the cover on during cold periods to get the oil temps up to normal.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Looks like the billet cooler can be purchased here:

http://www.billetcool.com/oil_cooler.htm

Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
TxFLHX
6th Gear

Does not look like it fits newer bikes, like my 2010 SG.

Good idea though!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

I think I will call and find out if they have one to fit my 2010, it looks simple and seems alot better then putting rubber lines on the OEM one? It cost about the same?

Quick Reply: Oil cooler idea