Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hornet deer advoidance unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
seamoose
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hornet deer advoidance unit

Asked the wife to buy me a Hornet for my bike for my BD .live in the jersey pinelands and dodge deer daily . The thing has gotten some good reviews so I thought maybe it will save my tail one day . Have a 05 FLHTC . Anyone have one mounted on a bagger .that might suggest a good location . I was looking at the crash bar alongside my lowers but I'm thinking that might limit its effect to one side . under the headlight would be out of sight but then i wouldn't get the 45degree angle to the road surface . Just thought someone out here might have found a good location that it won't look goofy . Thanks in advance for comments Ft

Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

God those things are ok I guess. But how do you prove a negitive? Never hit a deer with one vs hit a deer with out one. Hell of a test. Only true deer repelant is say a .308 Winchester......but it pisses off the neibours!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer

Sounds like a good test for MYTH BUSTERS. I have a hard time believing these devices actually work. I think the deer would hear the rumble of my Wild Pigs Mufflers.
Power that sucker up with a battery and go for a walk in the zoo and see what kind of reaction you get.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
seamoose
Intermediate

I know ,I know , god knows what may work !!!
Early summer a guy lives a mile or so down the road . within sight of my house clips one at 12 noon on a 1100 v star loud pipes sunny day broken shoulder blade . my wife got her fourth in 5 yrs with her Focus 1/2 mile from home 4500 in damage .Air activated deer horns on the front bumper .Helped a lot
A friend from work left my area 3pm on a ultra(with V&H Duals) with his wife on the back 2 miles into the pinelands from where i live . Both got messed up badly .He runs two chrome air ones on his front axel one on each side . didn't help
I 'm sure its no worse here than elsewhere in the woods but the dam things are trying to get friendlier with us lately,
I got one with a dyna leaving Laconia (03) right in Meridith coming home after 5 days riding in the hills and no sight of one .Lucky i just slid into it almost highsided over it which might have been very ugly
As long as it dosen't attract the beast ,I figure I'm trying to change the odds to my favor a little ..Plus the wife bought it which is a lot better than the old man sweaters she usualy gets me that are hanging in the closet "for when I learn to act my age" and become a respectable old man !;. mc news or RRunner gave it a decent review a couple of mts ago she ask what I wanted I handed her the rag .
(maybe that old thing she keeps telling me about is starting to set in !!???) Naw !!

Last edited by seamoose; 11-29-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend with one on his Kawi. He has it under the headlight switched so he can turn it off during the day. He swears by it.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
seamoose
Intermediate

I had a 91 Fat boy I had a 113 ultima in it with drag pipes for two seasons .No deer !! I never got near any animals it was so loud . However i couldn't keep my fillings in my teeth and I think I have still have a little shake in my hands also can't hear for crap
. I got that old thing going on remember !!!I Thats why I went to the bagger had samson duals on this when I bought it and took of the mufflers and put on stock ones on it . (Thats a sign of that old stuff creaping up on you I'm told )

Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You could mount it on your helmet.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
stevec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seamoose
Asked the wife to buy me a Hornet for my bike for my BD .live in the jersey pinelands and dodge deer daily . The thing has gotten some good reviews so I thought maybe it will save my tail one day . Have a 05 FLHTC . Anyone have one mounted on a bagger .that might suggest a good location . I was looking at the crash bar alongside my lowers but I'm thinking that might limit its effect to one side . under the headlight would be out of sight but then i wouldn't get the 45degree angle to the road surface . Just thought someone out here might have found a good location that it won't look goofy . Thanks in advance for comments Ft
I purchased one after a deer TBoned me and destroyed my 07 road glide. I searched for a good place to locate it also. I decided to mount it under the right foot floorboard to the front attaching bolt, I was able to get the angle needed and you hardly notice it is there. Weather it works or not I don`t know, but it sure makes me feel better. Hope this helps

Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Which way does the deer run when it hears it?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Their website even has mounts for Harley s. Looks pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: Hornet deer advoidance unit